You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2017 21:14:46  #1

Cork platen cleaning

I have a Imperial Good Companion T with a nice cork platen. It is really it a good shape a really clean. Everything but the platen, that has lots of letters printed on it, since is made of bright cork. Well, I wouldn't care much, but since the rest is so clean and nice would you clean it lets say with just alcohol?  I really don't want to ruin it by adding moisture but maybe if I dry it quickly?

30-10-2017 16:11:44  #2

Re: Cork platen cleaning

I've never seen a cork platen. Do they hold up better than the rubber ones?

31-10-2017 12:41:33  #3

ClacketyClink wrote:

I've never seen a cork platen. Do they hold up better than the rubber ones?

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=13891#p13891

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2017 14:59:43  #4

Well this particular machine at least has a very nice grip, but apparently is not the best material for it. Also I checked the feed and are made out of rubber. And this platens are not as rare as it seems. Thanks Uwe for the link! I don't feel really comfortable taking the palten out and sanding it but if one day I feel I will do that, for now it will stay as it is. Damm I am struggling adding pictures so you can see it! I will keep trying.

31-10-2017 16:51:35  #5

Well after some swearwords, google searches and many failed attemps I can finally post the image, hope is right fingers crossed:

29-11-2021 19:09:30  #6

Hi all, I just found this site today whilst researching the Imperial Model 10 and thought I'd answer in case anyone was still paying attention, as I had another example with a cork platen on my desk today. As I understand it, cork was used commonly on British typewriters in the years immediately after the Second World War due to difficulty in sourcing rubber which, like many other items, was scarce. It works well, but seems to degrade quickly and dry out.

30-11-2021 17:40:26  #7

Hi Steinar,

Since cork flooring in homes has become more popular, I wonder if some of the cleaning techniques for a floor might be of some help to get your platen clean up a bit ?

Board footera