You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2017 16:51:07  #1

Olivetti Studio 45 carriage problem

Hello everyone
recently I got Olivetti Studio 45 in pretty rough shape but nothing that can't be solved with cleaning except for carriage problem. When I press and hold the keys, doesn't matter which ones, carriage simply slides all the way to the left. When I type it moves couple of spaces to the left randomly unless i type very very fast. 

I tried to clean the escapement without disassembling the carriage because I've never done it and don't know how. Nothing changed. From what I can see no tooth are missing on the visible cog.
Is there anything to try without total disassembly?

08-11-2017 11:51:42  #2

Re: Olivetti Studio 45 carriage problem

Hi Tilda

​Although I don't own an Olivetti 45, looking at some online pictures, it appears to be similar in construction to the Underwood 378, of which I have one. I'll see about lifting the mechanism out of the shell this evening to get a better look at how mine works, then maybe I can give you a few ideas. That being said though, by your description of the problem, it sounds like either the escapement dog assembly is lifting too far so completely disengaging the star wheel, or the floating dog is stuck, broken or missing.

​If the dog assembly is lifting too far, this should be correctable with an adjustment. If the floating dog is stuck, a good deep down internal cleaning is in order. If however the floating dog is broken or missing, then a replacement part is required, this will prove to be a bit more of a challenge. I'm not sure of the disassembly sequence of this model, but you may need to lift the mechanics of the machine out of the plastic base in order to get a better look at the escapement from underneath. If anyone else has experience with this model, please chime in. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

08-11-2017 13:28:35  #3

Skywatcher thank you so much!
I'll see tomorrow about escapement dog and its adjustment, looks like this my easily be the case, because I doubt by the internal state of the machine (I've took the case apart) that some parts are worn. Don't know how to adjust yet  it but its good to be pointed the right way. With a bit of google search I'll figure it out Thanks again!

09-11-2017 01:42:00  #4

Hi Again Tilda

​With the mechanism out of its case, I had a closer look at my 378. When the carriage is at rest, the star wheel sits against the floating dog and the fixed dog only comes into play when the escapement is tripped by a letter key or the space bar. This would indicate the sear of the fixed dog may be bent or broken off. However, if another member has an Olivetti Lettera 45 and is willing to delve into its workings, this would give us a much better idea of what we're up against.

The only adjustment I can find on the 378 is the escapement bottom stop which controls how far down the dog assembly drops when at rest. If this stop was too low, the carriage would likely zip to the left when the space bar is released. Take the bottom cover off the machine, get a good strong light and see if you can figure out exactly what's happening. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera