You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-11-2017 14:40:56  #1

What can I use to clean painted surface of Olympia SM-3?

I hesitate at cleaning the textured paint for fear of damaging it.

What is safe to use?

02-11-2017 15:47:18  #2

Re: What can I use to clean painted surface of Olympia SM-3?

Seems like Scrubbing Bubbles is something others have used with success: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-restoration.html

02-11-2017 15:58:37  #3

Hi Dan

The product I've found to work really well on crinkle finish paint is Scrubbing Bubbles™ bathroom cleaner. Remove the body panels from the machine before cleaning. Get a soft bristled scrubbing brush and a spray attachment for the kitchen sink faucet. Spray the Scrubbing Bubbles™ directly onto the dry surface and let if foam for a few seconds. If the paint is really dirty or has a lot of tar and nicotine, the foam will actually turn brown. Give the body panel a gentle scrub with the brush using a circular motion to get all angles, then rinse off with hot water and dry with a soft towel.

Just be cautious of any water transfer dealer labels as these tend to come off if soaked too long or scrubbed too hard. Scrubbing Bubbles™ is formulated to be safe for use on painted surfaces and acrylic bath tubs, so is quit e safe on most plastics. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-11-2017 16:39:03  #4

Thanks guys!

09-11-2017 17:00:37  #5

Was wondering this as well. I've heard a solution of dawn dishwashing liquid and water using a soft bristle toothbrush to scrub gently in circular motions, or simple green. I've also read several instances of scrubbing bubbles too.

I wonder if an expert here can make a sticky of best practices for general cleaning (outside and inside) of typewriters.

Board footera