You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2017 15:20:49  #11

Re: New guy looking for first typewriter

Due to a schedule conflict with the Royal 10 seller, my first typewriter ended up being an excellent condition 1938 Remington (Monarch) Portable #5 Streamline w/ Touch Control.  The outside had already been cleaned and about 60 q-tips later the insides are looking much better now too.  The only repair it needed was to replace the carriage drawstring which I did successfully.

Today, I finally managed to find a way to meet with the Royal 10 owner and picked up that machine too.  It's going to need quite a bit more cleaning but seems to be in mostly good shape.  The space bar is broken in half and someone has already reglued it - if anyone out there has a spare space bar from a parts machine let me know.  The carriage slides freely but doesn't move when you type so I expect another drawstring replacement will be needed.  On the positive side it seems to be in overall pretty decent condition for the age and I got lucky - the machine still has three of its manual tab stops (as far as I can tell they came with six originally?) so I won't need to try to mock up replacements after all.  I've dated it by serial number to 1927.  Platen is soft enough but the feet are hard as rocks.

Board footera