You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2017 00:59:43  #1

Olympia SF carriage won’t advance

Just got mailed the machine which seems to be clean.  Draw cord has good tension.  Këys will strike the paper but the carriage doesn’t advance and just lets keys over strike the same place.  Ideas are welcome.  The machine apparently mpworked before shipment. 

Thanks!   Dave

17-11-2017 08:30:38  #2

Re: Olympia SF carriage won’t advance

Uh oh. Any indication things might be distorted, like from impact? Check and see that lines and edges all appear straight. Or are you saying that the carriage moves freely from side to side when you release it, but when typing or spacing the carriage doesn't move? If the latter, that sounds like an escapement issue -- something jammed.

17-11-2017 20:36:43  #3

Re: Olympia SF carriage won’t advance

Hi Dr. Dave

​First things first, make sure the carriage is unlocked. As these little SF series typewriters were designed to be carried around, a carriage lock was built into the design to protect the delicate escapement mechanism during transport. The carriage lock lever on these machines is a small chrome lever located at the back left corner of the carriage next to the line advance/return lever pivot point. Move this lever towards the back of the machine to unlock the carriage. Let us know what you find,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera