You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-12-2017 16:42:21  #1

Streamliner not gripping paper too well

So, my lovely new Remington Rand Streamliner is a joy to type with, but it clearly does need a new platen and new rollers because it doesn't always advance the paper the way it should, especially when set to single spaced. It's not too terrible, just slightly irritating, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve matters without having to send the platen off for recovering. (I will do that in due course, but I'd rather not do it right now!) 

02-12-2017 17:20:37  #2

Re: Streamliner not gripping paper too well

OK, did a bit of googling and answered my own question: Two sheets of paper in at once sorted the problem out completely, and according to these folks is better for the typewriter too: 

http://www.vintagetypewritershoppe.com/vintage_typewriters_22.html

This feels like a total n00b faux pas, but I'll leave it in case it's useful for other n00bs. ;) 

02-12-2017 20:07:36  #3

Hi Teipiadur

​Indeed the use of a backing sheet is highly recommended, I use 32lb (120 g/m²) paper as my backing sheet as I often type on onion skin paper for overseas letters. An application of Max Rubber Rejuvenator to the platen will also help as this cleans and softens the surface of the rubber for a better grip on the paper. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-12-2017 20:29:21  #4

Thank you so much for the tip - I'll get some of the rejuvenator and hopefully it will help!

Board footera