You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-12-2017 21:20:13  #1

Source for small springs? (47 Smith Corona Silent Ribbon Reverse)

I've got a Smith Corona silent that is missing the ribbon reverse actuator spring (part #187 in the service manual) 
This goes between the ribbon reverse actuator (the arm the ribbon threads through) and the side of the chassis, in effect holding the actuator arm outward and near the spool, 

Is there a source or a method of fabricating small springs like this? My immediate concern is this particular spring, but I can see this coming up again from time to time.

Thank you.. Paul

02-12-2017 23:08:29  #2

Re: Source for small springs? (47 Smith Corona Silent Ribbon Reverse)

A guitar string wrapped tightly around a nail seemed to do the trick. I think I'll make a jig to make for prettier looking springs.

03-12-2017 01:26:16  #3

Re: Source for small springs? (47 Smith Corona Silent Ribbon Reverse)

Hi Paul

​A while ago, maybe a year or so, a forum member posted a link to someone making very tiny springs from piano wire that were then placed in a bed of steel wool in a tin and heat treated in an oven. I thought I'd saved the link, but can't seem to be able to put my finger on it at the moment. If someone else remembers this link, please post it. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera