You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-12-2017 12:02:46  #1

1957 ROYAL Quite De Luxe won't type in red.

Hey everyone,
I've got a 1957 ROYAL Quite De Luxe that doesn't want to type in red when put into red mode.
It's because the Ribbon Vibrator Mechanism (the thing that holds the ribbon and moves up and down every time you press a key) is catching on the Writing Line Scale behind it. 
I've taken it apart and tried to bend the Writing Line Scale slightly so the Ribbon Vibrator Mechanism will pass freely but it ends up catching anyways. I've even tried moving the entire carriage assembly back and away from the Writing Line Scale so I can bend it even further. It allows the Ribbon Vibrator Mechanism to fully move and bring the ribbon to the correct height to type in red, but the platen is now so far away that the type heads can't touch the paper and make an imprint.  Ugh...
Here's a video showing what I mean: https://vimeo.com/246458893/42d392143e

Here's a photo from the manual that shows the assembly that I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl1y7lh2zwlrhik/File%20Dec%2008%2C%207%2045%2028%20AM.jpeg?dl=0

My question is, do I have the Writing Line Scale positioned correctly in the video? Do you see anything wrong with my setup? I'm looking for any help here as I'm about to stab my eyes out in frustration.
Thanks for your help, you guys are the best!

---------------------------------------------------------------
1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

08-12-2017 13:30:13  #2

Re: 1957 ROYAL Quite De Luxe won't type in red.

I hesitate to write, simply because I'm not sure I will tell you anything you don't know already. But my guess is that there is something in the vibrator linkage that is preventing the vibrator from rising high enough to print entirely in red. I do not think the writing line scale is the problem -- but I can say that you need to move the carriage back to the original position. This adjustment (called in the repair texts the "ring and cylinder") is critical, as you've found out. The machine won't type properly, or at all, if it's out of whack.

A really simple solution for you to the "bichrome" problem, though -- just use an all-black ribbon!

08-12-2017 13:54:55  #3

Thanks for the input Fleetwing.
Yeah, I checked and the obstruction is that the Ribbon Vibrator Mechanism is hitting the Writing Line Scale when it tries to travel up. There's just not enough clearance for the Ribbon Vibrator Mechanism to move freely. 
I'm wondering if mine looks right in the video? If anyone has a similar year ROYAL and can check that would be great.
Thanks,

1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

08-12-2017 14:30:07  #4

Great Scott, thank you for a good video! Thanks for the tripod, lighting, clear micing, and succinct description. Problems would be a lot easier to solve if they were all so well presented.

That said, I don't yet have a solution for this one. I have to dig out a QDL My vibrator problems are usually solved by cleaning and judicious bending but I haven't had to deal with that extra spring. One problem is that these parts are all made with a somewhat springy metal so they have to be bent much farther than you think to get the bend to "take". When you have the carriage moved back, you say then the vibrator moves correctly, so note what other parts get out of the way when you move the carriage.

Did this develop on your watch or was it like this when you got it? Another approach is to look at the whole thing and try to imagine what circumstances might have caused it to go bad the way it did. Somebody pressing on it while erasing, or maybe pulling hard on a stuck ribbon, or maybe chewed-up screw heads to show where the last guy messed up? Thinking of those forces might suggest the fix.

Good Luck. And keep making videos.

08-12-2017 15:17:27  #5

One thing I didn't mention is that your video helped me in another way -- I got a Royal Safari for really cheap, but it was missing the spring that keeps the two "pinchable" pieces of the ribbon guides from flopping open and causing the ribbon to hang up, particularly on the Red setting. It's kind of a wishbone shape, but I couldn't see how it is held in place -- the bottom threads through the hole in the middle of the vibrator (which is visible when you move the vibrator all the way to its top position). The machine actually works OK in the lower (Black ribbon) setting, but I'd love to find one of these springs. Anyone have a spare?

09-12-2017 12:35:43  #6

Ha! Glad the video helped out. Thanks for everyone's input. 
When I bought the typewriter it had the issue. 
After a quick google for "Ribbon Vibrator Royal" I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_o7n5M4K7k
Man the internet is awesome!!! It shows the exact assembly that is giving me problems. I can see that everything is positioned exactly as I have it on my typewriter. So the issue to me must be the way my Writing Line Scale is bent/shaped. Gonna try messing with it some to see if I can find a happy medium. 
Thanks again for everyone trying to help, I love this forum!

Board footera