You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-12-2017 16:44:58  #131

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

Fleetwing wrote:

Someone with a Smith Premier totally needs this: https://newlondon.craigslist.org/atq/d/antique-smith-premier/6418987490.html

If I was anywhere near there, and had $250 to spare, I'd buy that up in a heartbeat! I love refinishing desks and other old-school office furniture! 

13-12-2017 17:11:08  #132

C'mon, man -- just an easy trip up I-95 to I-395 in CT!  One day. Or stay overnight and tour Mystic Seaport. 

(The "Antiques Roadshow" viewer in me says "Noo! No refinishing!" Though I think that's real antiques they're talking about.)

14-12-2017 07:41:19  #133

I prefer to buy the $20 "junk" that's out there in real need of refinishing and turn it into something nice. If it doesn't need to be refinished, I won't. That Smith Premier desk doesn't look too bad. Plus, those decals... 

10-1-2018 10:55:13  #134

How about a Noiseless Standard? Is a good typewriter? I just love the looks but I am unsure about the type action and the three bank setting. How much would you pay anyways?

10-1-2018 12:19:52  #135

I assume you're asking about Noiseless the manufacturer versus a Noiseless model (from Remington for example)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-1-2018 13:55:29  #136

Uwe wrote:

I assume you're asking about Noiseless the manufacturer versus a Noiseless model (from Remington for example)?

They're one and the same, I believe -- Remington bought Noiseless (based in Middletown, CT) and the Remington Noiseless machines continued to be made there. As for the Underwood noiseless machines, I think those were rebadged Remingtons, rather than built under license by Underwood, but I'd like to confirm that.

10-1-2018 16:12:12  #137

I had wanted to clarify whether he was looking at a Noiseless manufactured model, or a "noiseless" model post 1924 (the year Remington bought out the company); however, given that he mentioned it's a three bank I would assume it's a Noiseless-made typewriter. It's important to distinguish between the two: I have a '19 Noiseless Model 4 and a '26 Remington Noiseless Model 6 and they're worlds apart (I believe there was a Smith-Premier variant of the Model 6 badged as a "noiseless" too). 

As for Underwood, I recall reading somewhere that it was allowed to use the associated 'Noiseless' patents in exchange for Remington being able to use its 'Fanfold' design. Underwood made changes to the design, so they weren't identical machines despite their outward similarities. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-1-2018 16:31:29  #138

Interesting about the Underwood noiseless -- the things I've seen speak of Underwood licensing the design, which would imply to me they didn't change it. Would love to know more. Since it's a complicated design, you'd think Underwood wouldn't want to spend time on addition r & d.

10-1-2018 18:43:51  #139

Yes, I meant Noiseless the manufacturer, and the model 4 the model.

10-1-2018 19:12:07  #140

Fleetwing wrote:

Interesting about the Underwood noiseless ...

Keep in mind that we're talking about the standard models. Compare photos of the mid-thirties model and you'll see what I mean. 

Board footera