You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-12-2017 22:47:18  #1

Royal Sabre letter arms are hitting the cover

Hi,
  I'm new here and this will be my first post. I searched the forums to see if any one else had this problem. I have a Royal Sabre (I think it's a 1968). The letter arms keep hitting the top cover and I'm not sure why. I have the top cover in place and I can't see another reason for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

28-12-2017 23:10:39  #2

Re: Royal Sabre letter arms are hitting the cover

So, your machine looks like the ones here: http://typewriterdatabase.com/Royal.Sabre.72.bmys

Please excuse this question -- the top cover (aka ribbon cover) is installed correctly, yes? Opening is toward the back of the typewriter, like the machines shown in the link? I only ask because it's easy to install the cover backward. So, assuming we have that out of the way, are you sure the cover is all the way in place, so that it's flush with the top? If so, then maybe the cover has gotten bent a little bit? These are aluminum castings, I think, so they're hard to bend, but stranger things have happened. Clearances are tight, so any misalignment can lead to the typebars hitting the cover. Which letters are hitting? Is it the ones on the extreme outsides, or is it any one of them?

30-12-2017 21:51:03  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

So, your machine looks like the ones here: http://typewriterdatabase.com/Royal.Sabre.72.bmys

Please excuse this question -- the top cover (aka ribbon cover) is installed correctly, yes? Opening is toward the back of the typewriter, like the machines shown in the link? I only ask because it's easy to install the cover backward. So, assuming we have that out of the way, are you sure the cover is all the way in place, so that it's flush with the top? If so, then maybe the cover has gotten bent a little bit? These are aluminum castings, I think, so they're hard to bend, but stranger things have happened. Clearances are tight, so any misalignment can lead to the typebars hitting the cover. Which letters are hitting? Is it the ones on the extreme outsides, or is it any one of them?

Thanks for the reply! I double checked and I have the cover on correctly and it is flush with the top. Only the outside letters are the ones that are hitting the cover. I had removed part of the case in order to clean and I was wondering if I messed it up when I put it back on and that's why the typebars are hitting the ribbon cover.

30-12-2017 22:06:46  #4

Hi Jeff

​Now begs the question, did the type bars hit the ribbon cover before you took it to pieces to clean it? and, Where on the ribbon cover are the type bars contacting?

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

30-12-2017 22:12:20  #5

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Jeff

​Now begs the question, did the type bars hit the ribbon cover before you took it to pieces to clean it? and, Where on the ribbon cover are the type bars contacting?

Sky

I'm not sure it hit before, but I don't think it did . So, should I disassemble it and rebuild it? Is there another fix or did I mess this machine up? Thanks for your help!
Jeff

30-12-2017 22:33:57  #6

Hi Again

​Looking at the 1968 Sabre S/N-SB8154320 on my lap, the main cover is held on by 2 screws each side that can only really go one way with a little bit of wriggle room in the slots of the tangs. On the ribbon cover itself, the inside ends of the opening are slightly higher than the outside of the cover and appear to follow the same curve as the top edge of the plastic keyboard bezel.

Place the ribbon cover on backwards and see if the two curves match. If they don't, you'll need to do some very careful and gentle bending of the cast aluminum. The other thing to check for are the 4 rubber bumpers on the outer edge of the ribbon cover, they appear to be about 1/4" diameter and about 1/16" thick. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

30-12-2017 23:02:46  #7

YES!!!! I'm missing three of the 4 rubber bumpers! I placed it back on but didn't push it all the way down and  the typebars are sailing right past it! Thank you so much! Now the question is where do you get and/or make little rubber bumpers? Thanks again!

31-12-2017 15:37:49  #8

Hi Jeff

​If you're not in a hurry, PM me your mailing address, I'll make and mail a set of bumpers to you. Might as well replace all 4 so you have a matched set. I'd suggest CA adhesive (Crazy Glue) to attach them and you should be good to go.

Sky 

Board footera