You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-12-2017 14:41:43  #1

How are done the type slugs?

Does anyone know how they were manufactured the type slugs? Which material is it?

02-1-2018 16:13:31  #2

Re: How are done the type slugs?

Steel. Hold a small magnet against a typeslug, it will draw to it.

As to how they've been made... I'm by no means an expert, but I would guess they're made by casting with some postprocessing for improved precision. Nothing you can do at home unless you live nearby a vulcano or so.

If your intention is to create a custom typeslug, then welcome to the party! I'd really like an @ typeslug on my otherwise German typewriter (for typing e-mail addresses), but it's hard to fit the typical U.S. @/¢ typeslug into it usefully (touch I'm going to try it at some point). I'd need a @/ü typeslug or similar. In case you have an idea how to create or even order one, feel free to drop me a PM.

sirius

02-1-2018 18:16:57  #3

I actually live near a volcano! There is hope there. I was thinking in cheating and making a 3D printed slugs, with a precision 3D printing machine, and see if the material is durable enough, but I actually doubt it... steel casting is not an option yet.

02-1-2018 22:58:36  #4

I seem to recall someone having filed down the characters on an existing slug and then fitting a plastic 3D-printed "wrap" over the slug to create a new slug. I wouldn't recommend going that route for a frequently used slug, but it might be an option for a character that is used infrequently. I'm sure if you 'Bing' those keywords that what I had read will turn up.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-1-2018 10:35:06  #5

I wrote a message to the person who started the post, hopefully he is still around. So far the less destructive a easy idea would be to put on to of the current typeslug a new 3D printed slug.

Board footera