You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2018 11:00:54  #1

Hermes 3000 Knob Replacement

Anyone looking for a replacement for a broken H3K knob?  Here's my solution, albeit one that has not been thoroughly tested over time.   Basically I found a bottle cap from a bottle of power steering fluid that somewhat matched the original knob and another smaller knob from Home Depot.  I glued them together (this bond has not been tested because plastics are hard to bond) and found some finger nail polish to match the color of the original knob.  I then sanded down the knob till it matched the thickness of the original.  I also had to use my Dremel to bore out the Home Depot knob to fit the typewriter's arbor.  Several coats carefully applied resulted in a finished product that had close resemblance to the original.  I prepared both the new knob and the arbor for gluing (after doing some research on what type of glue to use) and attached it.  It looks pretty good, but like I said, this has not been given the rough treatment test, but I'll report back to this forum if it works.   And if I can post some photos I will.

06-1-2018 04:38:26  #2

Re: Hermes 3000 Knob Replacement

Yes please, I would very much like to see a photo !  And I bet everyone else on here would like to too !

06-1-2018 09:04:32  #3

06-1-2018 12:14:10  #4

The dimensions of the original knob are as follows:   31.5 mm diameter, 8.5 mm thickness.   The machine's arbor that receives the knob is 11 mm diameter.  

The replacement knob that I came up with has these dimensions:  30.5 mm diameter, 8.5 mm thickness.   The center hole that receives the machine's arbor has an inside diameter of 11.5 mm.

What will ultimately make this replacement knob successful is the glues that you use.  Especially the one that you will use to attach the replacement to the machine's arbor.  I used Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel Control after researching the best glues for plastics to steel.   Apparently this glue had the best torque test (twisting force).  I have not tried to pull the knob yet - tensile strength (pulling it will be required to position your typed line exactly).  Right now, I'm happy just to look at it because the naked arbor bugs me.  But eventually I need to really test it.  

I can go into greater detail about the whole process if anyone wants to know exactly how I went about making this replacement knob and where I got the pieces.

06-1-2018 17:15:52  #5

I take my hat off to you sir !  That is very impressive.  Keep us posted on if the knob holds up in actual use !

25-2-2018 10:10:14  #6

The knob, after extensive use, seems to be holding up.  I can pull on it to release the ratchet on the platen like it's suppose to work.  The glue I used was the Original Gorilla Glue.  It expands when it sets and it really clamps on.  Use just enough to coat the surface you want to glue, otherwise it will bubble out when it expands and dries.

Board footera