You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-1-2018 20:10:20  #1

Carriage sluggush

I have an Underwood Olivetti Studio 44. It works great except when typing the carriage starts to falter as you reach the right margin. It's as if it doesn't have enough tension once you get to that side. If I put my hand on it and exert a bit of pressure it will operate normally (i.e., move when a letter is typed, ding the bell, etc.).

I should mention that it works fine until you get close to the end of the typed line (right margin). Anything I can do to get it working properly again?  Thank you!

07-1-2018 23:08:26  #2

Re: Carriage sluggush

Hi Pinch

​This sounds like a tired mainspring or dirty carriage rails or a combination. My 44 is out in the storage building at the moment. If no one else has chimed in on how to tighten the mainspring by tomorrow (Monday) evening, I get mine out, take a look and let you know how to tighten the mainspring for a start. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

08-1-2018 10:38:05  #3

> I get mine out, take a look and let you know how to tighten the mainspring for a start
That would be great! Thank you

09-1-2018 02:40:06  #4

Hi Again Pinch

​I must have been pretty tired last night, my grammar was terrible, meant to say "I'll get mine out,". OK, now that I have my 1967 Olivetti Studio 44 S/N 395798 on the bench with the cover off, I see it doesn't have a carriage rail, rather a set of 6 rollers (2 pairs) along the back and one pair in center front. I'm thinking we should start with the simple things before we delve into making any adjustments.

Do all the back rollers spin freely? The lower rollers are capstan shaped and the upper rollers are plain ball bearings. If the lower rollers are not spinning freely, they will act like brakes on the carriage. You'll need to remove the ribbon cover and the main body of the typewriter to properly access the 3 lower rollers in order to lubricate them. I would strongly suggest not removing them as doing so will likely upset the carriage alignment.

Looking at the back of the rollers, you'll see a flat washer around which the roller appears to spin. Get a few drops of really light oil or penetrating fluid NOT WD-40 into the gap between the washer and the roller and work the roller until it spins freely. Your carriage should now move freely. If this is not the case, get back to me and we'll go from there. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

09-1-2018 13:30:45  #5

I've had the same issue.  You don't want to over tighten the mainspring, as fixing it is a pain.  Most likely, if the carriage rails aren't bent) you just need a drop (ONE DROP) of oil right on the escapement wheel.  Put the drop between the star wheel and pinion, and move the carriage manually back and forth.  This should fix your problem.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

09-1-2018 13:33:15  #6

Just a quick follow up on my post.  It is possible to have an over tight mainspring and still have issues with the right end of the carriage.  Try using typewriter oil on it first, before you wind it up more.  It is most likely that the gears are a little bit stuck, and that is enough to hold back three pounds of mainspring force.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

11-1-2018 10:36:09  #7

Okay, I'm on it! When you say remove the cover I assume you mean the bottom one. I'll do this and report back.

11-1-2018 19:50:55  #8

Hi Pinch

​I was actually talking about the main cast aluminum cover. Removing the bottom plate will make removal and reinstallation of the main cover easier. After you've removed the bottom plate and unclipped the ribbon cover, move the carriage to the right and remove the two left cover retaining screws. The flat washers may come off with the screws, or may stay stuck to the grommets, the rubber grommets stay in the cover. Now move the carriage all the way to the left and remove the two right screws. The cover can now be removed by lifting the right side and rolling it over to the left side of the machine. Reinstallation requires the reverse procedure. Let us know what you find,

Sky

14-1-2018 12:08:58  #9

Well that did it! I followed Sky's instructions and the carriage now moves normally. Many thanks!

14-1-2018 21:10:16  #10

Hi Again Pinch

​Glad we were able to help you with this problem. All I can say now is, "Happy Typing."

Sky

Board footera