You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2018 13:48:00  #1

Fabricating Typewriter keys

I have been struggling to find solutions to the keychopping issue.  Any ideas on how to fabricate those odd chrome keyrings? 

https://themechanicaltype.blogspot.com/2018/01/fabricating-typewriter-keys.html

That's what I've got so far, it was a sloppy first attempt, but I am trying again with a handful of new methods.  Cutting the glass is time consuming, and machining a key top would be worse.  Any other things that might work?  Inverse Grommetts?  I have a friend who wants to use typewriter keys in a steampunk project, and I won't let him cut up old machines, so I've been redoubling my efforts to find a solution.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

09-1-2018 16:07:57  #3

Re: Fabricating Typewriter keys

Fleetwing wrote:

Replicas are out there:

Sure there's replicas, but they're not terribly convincing.  Else I would think I'd see a slight decline in the amount of people cutting off real keys.

09-1-2018 16:15:51  #4

Well, does your friend "need" the real McCoy or will these work for his purposes? I think I saw someone use the fakes for actually replacing missing keys (with some modification, like removing the loop to attach them to a bracelet).

02-2-2018 06:59:15  #5

Hello I am new here. I have seen some resin casting typewriter key projects to use in crafts instead of original keys, someone could make as many as they wanted then. I don’t know if they could be used on typewriters though, but better than cutting keys, so it might help your friend, I will try and post a link there are non toxic art resins now. The clear resin looks like glass

02-2-2018 12:15:37  #6

Ah, thank you.  I have seen some of those resin ones as well. I was hopeing to find something as accurate as possible, so it could also serve as replacement keys on another machine.

02-2-2018 15:36:26  #7

I have found it difficult to replace a missing key, on a 1960’s machine. They look simple, yet complex. For making new steampunk style jewellery then the resin looks ok, but next to the originals then I can see it is more difficult to match.

If you could find any jewellery findings like cufflink bezels that match the size of the missing key then maybe they would work,  but whether they will be as durable as the originals I don’t know, but some have the overlapping ridge.
Eg
http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Rhodium-Plated-Oval-Heavy-Weight---Cuff-Link-18x13mm-Pack-of-4-prcode-N2U-110R?p=gs&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImMqC9f2H2QIVTLXtCh0TxQxkEAQYASABEgJS6_D_BwE

Then paste the replica letter on, and pour in the resin level, the jewelery making websites shops look like they have all the supplies and some have tutorials, and on pinterest. I guess if resin is used for special effects and replicas then it might be worth experimenting, I thought about it but it looks like a new medium to get used to, the Art Resin says it is non toxic so can be used indoors.

02-2-2018 16:06:52  #8

Ps sorry meant to post Round not oval bezels
http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Rhodium-Plated-Round-Heavy-Weight--Cuff-Link-16mm-Pack-of-4-prcode-N2U-111R&query=Cufflink%20bezel&channel=uk

But any that look like that I saw made into faux typewriter keys online on the craft websites

03-2-2018 15:55:47  #9

Yeah, those aren’t too bad...very interesting.  Resin is definitely easier than cutting the glass.

03-2-2018 18:16:16  #10

There was someone, I think it was on eBay, that sold replica packs that were the outer rings and the glass (or glass-like) top. I just don't know if they were the same size or compatible with any particular machine, as they were designed for looks and not repair.

Board footera