You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2018 18:17:07  #1

Can't get ratchet on platen (Royal KMM)

Yet another question about a 1948 Royal KMM (same one as before, different issue).
So I'm preparing to put the platen back on and hand the typewriter over to its owner, when what do you know, the fractional cylinder end teeth (yeah, I looked it up) don't fit neatly into the ratchet. The variable teeth inside the ratchet and the cylinder end teeth don't appear to be damaged or worn. They catch but don't go in any further. Should I be able to easily push it back on? I popped it off the clean it, so it did fit before. 
Can I really 'put the hammer to it' without damaging anything? Or could it be that since it's probably never been removed in the seventy years of its existence, the ratchet shrunk to a smaller size once it was off? Would heating the ratchet slightly make it big enough to fit back on? Please help.

09-1-2018 21:10:49  #2

Re: Can't get ratchet on platen (Royal KMM)

No, it cannot shrink. You should not heat or hammer or alter anything. Recheck your install, make sure everything is clean, and see that nothing on the ratchet end is out of place.

10-1-2018 12:00:03  #3

As long as they catch, I'm not sure it'll be an issue.  The variable cylinder on my Royal 10 sits about a 16th of an inch away from the platen, and it works just fine.  Don't try to force anything, it's best not to cause more damage.  You might also want to make sure the detent mechanism is springy and free.  That three pronged thing on the platen with the tiny teeth in the edges?  It should move down flush with the platen, and should spring back up.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

10-1-2018 13:40:57  #4

Okay, after a few fruitless attempts to get the ratchet more in the teeth, I just situated it so all three prongs caught, and replaced the rod and platen knobs. It looks fine, but everything is super tight and gluey. The carriage release and return levers don't bounce back to their original positions and the line spacer is hard to move too. And when I turn the platen knobs, there isn't a clear 'snap' for when they get to the next line like on my other KMM. The line space pawl does hit squarely on the ratchet teeth. Also, the cylinder prongs don't move down flush with the platen as the cylinder sticks  out from the platen over a 1/4 inch, as you can see in the first picture. 
Before I put the platen back on, all the levers and things worked smoothly. Does something need to be oiled or is it just crooked somewhere? 

11-1-2018 10:58:09  #5

I fixed it! The line spacer wasn't hitting the correct part and the nut behind the hole in the above picture wasn't tight enough. Now the platen turns nicely and all the levers spring back. Started typing and it's not as smooth as I'd like and the shift hits a snag before returning to its original spot. But with a little tinkering I'm sure I'll get everything working.

Board footera