You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-1-2018 15:31:57  #1

Royal model 10 troubleshooting assistance?

I am a fairly new typewriter owner and I have recently acquired, what I think maybe a 1914-1915, double pane Royal model 10. Serial # X196998. The carriage on it is not advancing. The carriage moves sluggishly side to side and the ribbons aren't wrapping as they should. I have cleaned the carriage rack and the draw band is intact, I have tightened the tension screw and is still not advancing. In the process of trying to tighten the tension screw, I had hit the shift lock key to have easier access to the screw, now my shift lock is stuck.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

09-1-2018 13:41:36  #2

Re: Royal model 10 troubleshooting assistance?

You might have a gummy escapement, broken spring, or damaged rails.  If you hold down the carriage release leaver and can move it side to side, great.  If you can manually rotate the spring drum counter clockwise from the back, and it springs back, also great.  Then all that's left is to place a drop of oil on the rails, and on the escapement gear.  
If your mainspring isn't springy, its probably broken.  To fix this, you'll need to detach the Q and A linkages (once you remove the top panels of course) and then loosen the screws on the worm gear (the guitar tuner like gear for winding).  The shaft of the mainspring, or the spring drum itself should be able to slide out.  Once you have the drum separated from the machine, you'll need to carefully pry off the cover and make sure the spring is in one piece.  You might need to rivet a break back together again.  Gently tap the cover back into place and re-install.  I should note, you'll wanna take the drawband off after you release all drum tension (if there is any) by unwinding the spring via the worm gear adjustment thingy (Mainspring detent).

As for the shift lock, hitting the shift key should allow it to come back up.  If not, manually pull it up.  All it does is pin down the keyleaver of the shift.  If you have a carriage shift machine, check all the linkages and made sure nothing is jamming it, and that nothing is preventing it from coming back down.  Something might have just slipped and caused your issue. 

If you have any more specific questions, let me know, and perhaps provide some photos.  There are many people here, who like me, have no life, and would gladly chat the day away discussing nothing but spring tension and cleaning.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

09-1-2018 13:44:46  #3

Forgot to address the ribbons.  At the bottom of each post, there are some gears that move back and forth in conjunction with the reversal leaver.  Make sure the shafts are free to spin when the gear is disengaged from one or the other.  The mainspring drum has teeth all around the edge.  These teeth engage a ratchet system located directly below it.  This drives the ribbon spools as the carriage advances.  Make sure this is all connected and freely moving.
There are also two leavers on the front left of the machine.  The top one disengages both spindles, make sure this isn't stuck.  It should spring back and re-engage the spindles when you're not pressing it to the side.  The bottom leaver is the ribbon reverse.  Make sure this is one way or the other, not in the middle.  Hope this helps.

11-1-2018 02:10:55  #4

Awesome! I'll try those things. You are a great help. You've given me quite a bit to tinker with. Thank you! I definitely will post pictures of any further issues.

11-1-2018 19:58:03  #5

So I was checking the ribbon area you mentioned and I found this, I'm not sure but it seems like something is missing here. The hook thing is free swinging, it looks like there should be something attached to it. I can turn the post attached to the ribbon post manually but it's still not turning on its own...would it have something to do with what I'm looking at here?

11-1-2018 22:22:22  #6

I’m sorry it’s taken so long to respond.  Couldn’t figure out how to view the image, or upload ones of my own.
Anyway, I took apart my machine so we’d be on the same page, and I don’t have that hook thing.  Rather, all that’s there is my shift linkages.  Is your shift alright?  It doesn’t seem like that hook does anything to affect the ribbon spindles.  You can see the rod that connects to my spring drum in the photos I attached, as well as the reverse levers and the gear system.  On the left spindle, there are two gears.  One gear rotated the right spindle, and the other rotates the left.  In my case, the top gear rotated the left one.  When you switch spindles, the mainspring driven gear switches to the lower gear.  This is where you’ll find issues holding you up.  If the gear teeth don’t mesh right on the left side and right side, them they won’t spin properly when engaged.

http://tinypic.com/r/ae18b9/9

http://tinypic.com/r/24bn5sh/9

http://tinypic.com/r/4kv2bk/9

http://tinypic.com/r/s65c0p/9

http://tinypic.com/r/1ie4gm/9

http://tinypic.com/r/2a9e62t/9

So what you want to happen:
When disengaged, the spools spin freely.  When engaged, the engaged spool only spins when the carriage is advanced.  Use the carriage release leaver to move it back and forth, and an engaged spool should spin.
Let me know if there are additional issues or problems!

11-1-2018 22:26:47  #7

Also, if the rod that attaches to the drum, and spins the ribbon spindles isn’t spinning on its own, than it might have become disengaged.  There (with the machine on its back) is a cup under the two gears that attract it to the mainspring s you can see in the photos.  The top gear attaches to the drum teeth, and the bottom gear is a ratchet.  If the top gear sliped off the teeth, there is a set screw under the little cup.

11-1-2018 22:28:46  #8

Dang, wish you could edit posts.
Your machine is carriage shift i suppose?  Mine is basket.  That explains the differences.  Do you think you could take a shot of the exposed bottom with it all in frame, and perhaps one like the one you sent, but a bit further out so I can see the surrounding linkages?  You might have lost a spring, as it seems like that hook might hold one.

12-1-2018 12:09:39  #9

I appologize it has taken me so long to respond. Here's the photos you asked for. Yes it is a carriage shift machine​. I really do appreciate your help in this.

The last picture here is from before any cleaning or repairs were done, for reference of the top of the machine.

12-1-2018 19:51:27  #10

Kind of hard to tell a whole lot from the photos, as the basket and carriage shift are two vastly different mechanisms.  The carriage should come back down on it's own.  If it isn't, try wiggling the key and seeing if anything inside moves around.  The shift lock key should somehow be preventing the shift leavers from coming back down.  I can't quite see where this connection is being made, but it's usually right at the pivot point.
As far as the ribbons go, I cannot see any reason, from the above photos, as to why they wouldn't be working.  You might have a damaged ratchet system if those little gears aren't spinning in conjunction with the spring drum.

Board footera