You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2018 12:53:35  #1

The Novice Seeks Advice From The Masters (Rather Urgent)

A few words about myself. I never owned a typewriter and never typed on one. 

I wish to purchase one for distraction-free writing (Youtube is a Timekiller). 

My Criteria for a Typewriter.
- Reliable 
- Somewhat quiet, since I share an apartment
- Portable

I have been offered a working/beautiful green Olympia deluxe with the Case for 15 dollars (that is including shipping).

Should I accept the offer?

11-1-2018 13:28:19  #2

Re: The Novice Seeks Advice From The Masters (Rather Urgent)

Well, welcome aboard. My first instinct is to ask for more information, as you will be able to get more accurate advice. That said, the general opinion on Olympias (if I may be so bold) is that they are well-made, reliable machines--some of the best produced. And in today's typewriter market, $15 with shipping, is a very good price, especially if the machine is working. 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

11-1-2018 13:36:54  #3

Thank you for the fast answer. The Machine is fully functional, with a color ribbon and the original case. The problem is that I have no reference point.

I can watch YouTube videos until my face turns blue, but it will not give me a realistic sense of how loud or how heavy the machine is. 

This Machine will be used for daily typing at least 3 hours every day. I have no interest in breaking my finger on a hard keyboard(not from the old school). Is this a good first typewriter for an amateur writer?

Corrected image link.

Last edited by Uwe (12-1-2018 00:10:41)

11-1-2018 15:21:26  #4

I cannot open the link you posted, so I can't see the typewriter. But since you said it's green, I am guessing it's one of the earlier carriage-shift SM series of Olympias, like the SM3. These are excellent machines, and that is a terrific price. (Just make sure the seller packs it securely! This is absolutely critical.) The only caution I would mention about the machine is that the carriage-shift Olympias may not be as pleasant for lengthy typing sessions as the segment-shift machines. This is because the carriage shift seems to require, for me anyway, somewhat more effort than the segment shift models. You may not even notice the difference, or simply get used to it. But I wanted to mention this.

11-1-2018 15:22:39  #5

I should clarify the previous post -- for regular typing you will feel no difference. It's just when shifting to upper case that you may notice more effort.

11-1-2018 15:32:55  #6

Fleetwing wrote:

I cannot open the link you posted, so I can't see the typewriter. But since you said it's green, I am guessing it's one of the earlier carriage-shift SM series of Olympias, like the SM3. These are excellent machines, and that is a terrific price. (Just make sure the seller packs it securely! This is absolutely critical.) The only caution I would mention about the machine is that the carriage-shift Olympias may not be as pleasant for lengthy typing sessions as the segment-shift machines. This is because the carriage shift seems to require, for me anyway, somewhat more effort than the segment shift models. You may not even notice the difference, or simply get used to it. But I wanted to mention this.

It's actually a traveller de luxe from the 70's, not an SM series. The address only works if you copy and past it.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

11-1-2018 16:41:56  #7

Thanks, it's a pretty machine! And $15 including shipping is still a great deal. I know nothing about these machines, so can't comment on how noisy they might be. One thing the original poster should consider is getting a typing mat to help muffle the noise from the machine.

12-1-2018 00:26:54  #8

OP: I assume that you're in Denmark (or you want to type in Danish) given that the keyboard and character set this machine has?

​Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the machine. $15 is a no risk investment, and the Olympia Traveller is a solid, well-engineered typewriter. The action is on the heavier side, which is not a bad thing if you're a good typist, and there's a touch control to adjust it slightly.

The noise level for this model is average compared to other ultra-portables, but there are many factors that ultimately determine how noisy a typewriter is, some of which you can address if you need to make it a more quiet machine.

The machine weighs around 4.5 kg, (5 kg with its carrying case/cover). I've travelled several times (by air) with this exact model, albeit using a different travel case, and found it to be a good typewriter in this role; that shouldn't come as a surprise given that's really what ultra-portables were designed for. However, if I was going to buy just one typewriter and was planning to use it a lot, and there wasn't any need to actually travel with it, I would not buy an ultra-portable but a standard model instead.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 00:45:55  #9

I would recommend the Smith-Corona Silent series.  I’d personally worked on the Silent 5, and it was made in 1950.  It’s very quiet, and has every function of a full sized standard and it’s AMAZING.  The action is very light and it’s a basket shifted machine.  The action is smooth and fast, the return is silent and gliding, and it prints like a dream.  Very reliable, very easy to fix.  The only two issues with it is the fact that it won’t take a universal spool.  You’ll need to wind new ribbons onto the old spools.  Also, it is a bit heavy, not to bad, but not the lightest.  I’d place it around ten pounds.  Never used an Olympia, can’t comment on it.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

12-1-2018 00:47:32  #10

Yes, it's a fine machine for the price - grab it.  You will probably want to 'upgrade' at some point, say to an SM3, 4, or 9, but this is a bargain that will get you going and will be useful as a spare and back up if you do ever get another.  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera