You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-1-2018 01:11:54  #11

Re: The Novice Seeks Advice From The Masters (Rather Urgent)

Lucas Dul wrote:

I would recommend the Smith-Corona Silent series. It’s very quiet, and has every function of a full sized standard and it’s AMAZING.

​If the OP is actually in Denmark it would be quite the task to find a Smith-Corona 5-series model, Silent or otherwise, with a Danish character set for $15.  It would be good to know the OP's location if we're going to make inexpensive recommendations that are readily available.

As for the Silent, I would not describe it as being very quiet. I've tested it against the other 5-series models and found it was only a few dB quieter, not enough in my opinion to make enough of a difference over another portable in not annoying someone in the same apartment.

Lucas Dul wrote:

I’d place it around ten pounds.

​Closer to 12.5 lbs (5.7 kg), 17 lbs (7.7 kg) with the travel case. At least that's how much a Sterling weighs and the Silent should in theory be slightly heavier (I'd have to dig mine out to verify that).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 08:05:19  #12

Correct I am located in Denmark (Copenhagen), so the American made machines (Smith and Corona) are not readily available. Germany and Sweden are the neighbouring countries so I have a wide variety of German and Swedish Machines on the Danish eBay.

Here are a few available choices

Facit 1620 (White) - 150 US Dollars.
Erika Model 32 (White) - 50 Dollars.
Selecta Minor (Blue) - 80 Dollars
Adler Gabriele 25 (White) - 75 Dollars
Olympia Traveller De Luxe (Green) - 5 Dollars + 5 Dollars shipping (Got her down from 15)
Brother 210 (White) - 18 Dollars
Halda - (Whit/Brun) - 100 Dollars

There are no Typewriter repair shops in Copenhagen, so I picked the Olympia because it was the cheapest and I was promised, that it is functional. If it does not work, it will be a small loss.

12-1-2018 12:11:41  #13

Given that list of options, and the prices, you made the right choice and your logic is perfectly sound. The late '70s Brother would probably have been an excellent alternative, but the Olympia has far more character. 

​Let us know when you receive the typewriter and indulge us with your first impressions.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 17:48:07  #14

The novice would like to thank every Master that contributed to this post, 

=14pxThe greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work.

Board footera