You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2018 20:54:57  #1

Any difference: the Remington Model 5 Portable and the Streamilner?

I know there must be a zillion.

I am looking for a Remington made in the USA that has the low profile of the ultra euro designs. I have a Royal Safari from 1964 (very clunky) and two Smith Coronas - Corsair (Holland) and Skywriter (Made in ?).

I am trying to demonstrate (at least to my own eyes) that the US was very late in adapting the euro design ... particularly after Brother and Nakajima ate their lunch in the US with private labels.

Your thoughts more than welcome!

11-1-2018 22:38:26  #2

Re: Any difference: the Remington Model 5 Portable and the Streamilner?

The Model 5 had numerous iterations from the 30's up to the early 50's and included both a boxy and streamlined design. Some of the models in the early 40's had the label "Streamliner" on the paper table. The streamlined model 5 body style started in the mid-30's. The name Streamliner was later used on late 60's and early 70's machines, but these are entirely different typewriters from the Model 5 "Streamliner".

11-1-2018 22:55:36  #3

Thank you for the info!

I am interested in the streamlined designed design. I see a model 5 T. What is the meaning of the "T" ?

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Dick

11-1-2018 23:40:05  #4

For many typewriter models a T designator stands for tabulator, but I can't recall a Remington "5T" model. Can you provide a link to this machine if you saw it online?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 11:07:41  #5

12-1-2018 12:06:17  #6

Thanks. Clearly there are days when brain farts and slipping memory become an issue; I was thinking of something entirely different at the time and for some reason blacked out that 1930s portable.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 16:08:05  #7

Hi, Uwa,

No need to mention brain farts and etcetera ... the detritus of living into olde age. I am farting along at 83.

I collect/accumulate quickly because how much time do I have. 

Best,

Dick

Board footera