You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-1-2018 21:23:59  #11

Re: Only top half of type visible

Definitely not a vibratior issue if you can see the top half.  Make sure none of the linkages came undone, and that your shift keys aren’t stuck.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

13-1-2018 21:46:11  #12

Lucas Dul wrote:

Definitely not a vibratior issue if you can see the top half. Make sure none of the linkages came undone, and that your shift keys aren’t stuck.

Yes. Sorry. When I was looking over my Royal, away from the computer, I momentarily forgot which half we were talking about.

13-1-2018 21:50:44  #13

The shift stops look to be working.

Forgive my layman's knowledge, but could you clarify what the linkages are?
Tomorrow I'll take the carriage off again and see if something got stuck among the inner workings. 

13-1-2018 22:13:51  #14

I should have done this before, but here's a sample. 

13-1-2018 22:21:16  #15

I had this problem with a KMM I had (since sold). It was really annoying to not see all the letters (or at least the portion lying on or above the typing line). I wonder whether the ruler itself needs to be adjusted downward?

13-1-2018 22:22:39  #16

Is the bottom line the sample? Is it printing fully but you are concerned about the line scale obscuring the type?

14-1-2018 00:26:58  #17

Ah! I though the issue was the type itself.  Only half the letter was visible.  Certainly eliminates a lot of other issues.  Seems like the scale is in the right place.  The typeguide is usually lower than the scale, as you can see on mine: http://tinypic.com/r/2jew706/9
I’m not sure what dropped, as it seems like the letters are making good impressions, however there seems to be some markings above them.  Hopefully they’re periods poking though, but they might also be the capital letters hitting the page, indicating a dropped segment.  It also looks like the segment is a tiny bit too low.  You can compare my photo with yours to see for sure.  If everything is sturdy and stable, and all works well, just adjust the shift stops up a bit to correct the segment.  I wouldn’t tear the carriage off again if it’s working just fine.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-1-2018 00:29:19  #18

Fleetwing wrote:

I wonder whether the ruler itself needs to be adjusted downward?

It's already down as far as it will go. 

SoucekFan wrote:

Is the bottom line the sample? Is it printing fully but you are concerned about the line scale obscuring the type?

Yeah, it's the bottom line. It was working fine and then seemingly from one line to the next things shifted.

14-1-2018 15:38:07  #19

SquireDante wrote:

It's already down as far as it will go.

I stand corrected. It could go down enough to reveal the letters, so that's that. I didn't want to mess with the shift stops anyway. 
Sorry for any confusion my initial question caused. I wasn't feeling so great and I let that cloud my writing. Thanks for all the feedback!

Board footera