You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-1-2018 17:21:01  #681

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome! Seems to me that you can teach us all something about repair of these machines. And I'm especially interested in your potential side business -- we need more repairers! Any "old timers" there you can learn from? My guess is that a college town (and let's face it, hipster haven) like Austin is fertile ground for such a business.

06-1-2018 11:59:23  #682

I realized I never introduced myself on this thread, I went right to the repair section! Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm new to the world of typewriters, although I grew up using them! I went from one Royal Arrow I picked up at the flea market for 10 bucks to 5 machines total and the number is still growing. I haven't gotten them to work perfectly, but I love trying! I watched California Typewriter and I was completely enthralled the way everyone, including Tom Hanks spoke about these machines! I've found everyone to be super helpful and welcoming so far and I hope to be able to contribute in the future!

06-1-2018 20:01:31  #683

Hello Fleetwing,

Yes, there is one shop in town that I could learn from. I keep meaning to contact them. As far as learning from me.... I'm still new, so there's a bit of a wait on that! I still tend to mess up those stupid grub screws that are common in platen knobs. Hate those things so much.

I'll keep everyone informed about my side business as well.

06-1-2018 21:31:54  #684

So rude that I didn't write about myself before. I write from a country with few typewriters and no repair shop, Iceland. My collection started with a trash find, and since then I started collecting every typewriter I could get. Most of them are german made Olympia, Erika, Rheinmetall and Optima, and are mainly portables. I have a set limit of the number of typewriters for my collection, so I don't get anyone around me crazy or I don't die in an typewriter avalanche accident. My dream would be to be able of collecting different language typewriters, so far I have a cyrillic, and yeah, some Icelandics.
I use typewriters like a "cleaning pastime" and like drawing devices, helps me to calm, concentrate and focus on the moment.

16-1-2018 12:50:12  #685

Hello I'm pentium4person and i guess i am kind of new in the world of typewriters.
Before i was old enough for school, the next door neighbors used to watch me a lot. They had a typewriter in their living room that i used to play with a lot.
in 2007? they moved out and one of the things i they gave me is the old typewriter.  It sat in the basement for about 10 years and i forgot about it.
A few years ago my grandma got her electric typewriter working and i started using it a lot to type papers, in fact, i just used it yesterday. I really don't know what i am doing when i dig around in typewritersl, but i would like to figure it out. :-)

18-1-2018 16:23:37  #686

Although new to this forum, I am not new to typewriters - I had and used a Smith-Corona portable in the early 60's and learned to touch type in the 7th grade. I even tried out to be a temp secretary in high school but my speed was way to slow for that - I still touch type even on the computer keyboard. I also owned an IBM Selectric for a time. We used typewriters at work so a cc really means something to me!  I just bought a Smith-Corona Silent c. 1946 with cool round glass keys.  I am sure I will learn much from Typewriter Talk.

18-1-2018 19:08:55  #687

Welcome to the forum, p4person and typekarl! 

​I'd recommend updating your profile page with a general indicator of where you live in the world; you never know who here might be local to you!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-1-2018 19:57:19  #688

Hi there, I'm a newbie around here. My dad passed away in 2014, and my mom just gave me his 1960s Remington typewriter. I know that it's not very valuable, but it holds a lot of sentimental value. He was an artist and had a sign making business. He typed out estimates, bills and invoices for his customers on this typewriter. For some reason he never retired and was still working at the age of 82. He eventually acquired a computer like the rest of the world, but continued to type everything up for his business on his typewriter. It just seemed to work for him.

I ordered ribbon and I'm trying to remember how some of the features, switches and knobs work. I may attempt to clean it up, but its going to take me some time as this is a side project for me. I am enjoying getting reacquainted with this typewriter though, and I'm realizing how amazing and awesome this non-electric machine is. 

I was looking for a user manual and found this forum by way of Uwe on The Typewriter Database, where a similar Remington model in gold was posted.

So anyway, its a green Remington SN: M324189, I believe a Standard Model 24. My first question is about the function of the switch to the right. Blue, white and red circles and one white square. I'm still waiting to receive the ribbon, but I think it changed the color of the type from black to red, but not sure what the four different selections are for?  Any ideas?

~Elle

18-1-2018 20:22:24  #689

Hi elle, welcome over here. Nice thing you get to keep a piece of your father memory with a typewriter that you can use. I am not familiar with this particular machine, but I know the white setting is when the ribbon is not in use, so the vibrator ("fork looking"metal piece that is just where the keys hit the paper) it doesn't lift the ribbon. This position is also mentioned sometimes as "stencil" and it was used for erasing fails, putting a correcting paper between the key and the document that was been typed. When the key would hit the correcting paper would leave in the document the same letter that was intended to be erased, covering it with a white letter and making the mistake invisible. Why there are 2 stencil positions? I have no idea! Different pressures?

18-1-2018 20:50:33  #690

Hi steini! Thanks for the reply. I see that now, the white setting does lift the vibrator, and would make sense for corrections. I'll have to play with the settings more when the ribbon comes in. 

Board footera