You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-12-2017 17:00:10  #1561

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

This isn't a personal acquisition but I got a 1948 Royal KMM on loan from a friend for cleaning/repairing. It was their grandfather's when he was a journalist and they're happy it's getting some attention. This'll be my first (and hopefully not last) commission and I'm glad it's for a machine I'm familiar with. I'll post some pictures on the restoration page in a week or so, depending on how many problems I run into and how many Christmas activities appear last minute.  

15-1-2018 12:58:00  #1562

Over the weekend got a 1946 Smith-Corona Sterling. This is the "speedline" design, which I think is really handsome. Other than a little bit of rust on the right hand edge of the ribbon cover, it's in great shape and not too dirty. Works fine; even the ribbon has decent life in it. I think these are excellent machines -- beautifully made and fun to type with.

15-1-2018 19:00:21  #1563

Quite a rare find, and bought it!

In working shape but quite rough the body and decals. This is going to be a keeper.

18-1-2018 14:59:09  #1564

Not so rare as Steini's new acquisition, but today I got a 4-window Royal 10 locally, for $35.It's a 1922 based on the serial number. The guy said it works -- actually, more like "more or less." The feed rollers and bail rollers have serious flat spots, and the platen slips quite a bit also, so really paper can't feed. Otherwise, things seem to work OK.

Anyone have rollers from a parts machine? (Are these parts interchangeable with later Royals?) I know about the shrink tubing approach, and maybe it'll come to that. Anything I should look at with regard to the slipping platen? 

The guy also gave me a forlorn little Underwood Champion, maybe early postwar vintage. Many keytops missing, and clearly a parts machine only. He was going to throw it out -- which of course I couldn't let him do. I realized after that I can use its rear feet to replace those on a very nice prewar Champion given me by friends a few years ago, so I'm a happy guy.

18-1-2018 19:14:44  #1565

Rubber rejuvenator should at the very least make that platen, which sounds like it might be super-hard, useable with a few backing sheets. However, given that the feed rollers are shot you might want to get everything resurfaced - providing of course that the machine is worthy of the expense. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-1-2018 20:16:54  #1566

Fleetwing wrote:

(Are these parts interchangeable with later Royals?)

This is possible. The front and back feed rollers on my late 20's Royal 10 look just like KMM rollers. The platen looks the same, as well. This is just from a visual comparison; I have not actually done this swap or taken exact measurements, so I cannot be certain.

I know the feed rollers and platens on the portables are compatible from the 20's through the late 50's, and I have swapped a KMM platen into a KHM; so Royals do have a lot of compatibility between models with certain parts. I am not sure if there is any variation with the earlier double-paned version. If you have a junk later Royal standard, it would be worth trying.

19-1-2018 15:07:40  #1567

Here is a rarer find then most of the machines in this thread.
A Yost No 4.

My blog - Just Typewriters

19-1-2018 15:34:32  #1568

mre12ax7 wrote:

Here is a rarer find then most of the machines in this thread.
A Yost No 4.

So, I might take some flak for this, but that might be one of the ugliest typewriters I've ever seen. It's cool as all get-up--don't get me wrong--but it is so far from purdy, that it can't even see purdy off in the distance. Interesting piece of history though. 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

19-1-2018 15:41:48  #1569

Uwe wrote:

Rubber rejuvenator should at the very least make that platen, which sounds like it might be super-hard, useable with a few backing sheets. However, given that the feed rollers are shot you might want to get everything resurfaced - providing of course that the machine is worthy of the expense. 

The primary issue for me with the platen is that it's not connected to the chrome ring and line spacing mechanism; it spins if it meets resistance. For sure it's hard and would need to be used with a backing sheet (if not re-covered), but I'd like to see if I can make it connected solidly to the left hand end. (Never been inside a platen, so I don't know if the problem is that the core is loose or if it's just become detached in some way that I can fix.)

19-1-2018 16:22:58  #1570

Fleetwing wrote:

The primary issue for me with the platen is that it's not connected to the chrome ring and line spacing mechanism; it spins if it meets resistance. For sure it's hard and would need to be used with a backing sheet (if not re-covered), but I'd like to see if I can make it connected solidly to the left hand end. (Never been inside a platen, so I don't know if the problem is that the core is loose or if it's just become detached in some way that I can fix.)

If it is not catching on the ratchet end, it may just be an issue with the variable line spacer/ratchet/fractional cylinder end, which is common if the machine is dirty and hasn't been used in a while. Fixing this usually involves removing the platen, and cleaning and putting a tiny bit of oil on the fractional cylinder end.

Now if the platen is completely spinning on the entire core, that would be a different issue.

Board footera