You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2018 10:40:22  #1

Smith Corona Spacebar Adjustment

I have a SC Silent c. 1946 and it works great except that periodically the spacebar fails to advance the carriage unless the spacebar is pressed down hard. After doing a bit of research on this board, YouTube, etc I am assuming that an adjustment might be required. I have the SC Typewriter Repair Bible (PDF version) but as I am new to this, I don't know where to look or what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

21-1-2018 12:37:36  #2

Re: Smith Corona Spacebar Adjustment

You’ll want to make sure that the space bar isn’t hitting any part of the case.  If that’s all clear, flip the machine over and examine the rocker plate.  There is an escapement diagram in the repair bible that detailes this adjustment.  Follow along with their procedure and you should be in business.  It’s kind of difficult to explain just with words.  You’ll need to bend the spaceing bracket, and possibly losten up some screw allow things to move more easily.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

21-1-2018 14:19:27  #3

Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can do.

22-1-2018 23:55:00  #4

I have tried to understand the "adjustments" in the Typewriter Repair Bible but I am not getting to far, It appears the the space bar needs to be pressed down all the way some times before the escapement will trip. The spacebar is moving freely and there is no obvious obstructions. The spacebar advances the carriage most of the time but when it does not, a more firm press down releases the escapement. I am not confident in making any adjustments without knowing what I am doing.

23-1-2018 10:44:26  #5

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

23-1-2018 14:05:33  #6

Thanks for looking for that video. I had seen it before and examined my machine as suggested. However, the spacebar only "hesitates" about 10% of the time at seemingly random point during the carriage travel. At that time, I do have to press the spacebar down further for the escapement to release. Otherwise, it works freely, I am going to try the adjustment as described to see if that works.

Board footera