You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2018 12:41:04  #1

A question about Royal portables.

Do glass keytops attach to the key levers the same as the plastic keytops on the Quiet DeLuxe? I would like to trade out glass keytops for the plastic keytops on a 1952 model.

Thanks,

Steve

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

27-1-2018 15:19:19  #2

Re: A question about Royal portables.

Hi Curly

​If your machine is a 1952, it has the injection molded keys, so I'm assuming you want to removed these keys and install the glass or acrylic topped keys. Anything can be done with enough money, however I'd be inclined to say no. From what I can tell, the glass or acrylic topped keys are built onto the key arms. The cup is swaged onto the arm by the end of the arm being flattened inside the cup. The card and clear top are then installed and secured with the metal rim.

The injection molded keys are simply pushed onto the key arm and are held on with a tight friction fit. I don't know if Royal ever used Bakelite keys on any of their machines, I think they switched directly from clear topped keys to injection molded keys. If you are wanting a clear topped key typewriter, you may do better to simply buy a pre 1949 Royal for acrylic topped keys or a pre 1935 (I think) for true glass topped keys. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

27-1-2018 16:13:11  #3

The glass key tops are permanently fixed to the key levers.  There is no easy way to change them up.  Do you want your machine to have glass keys, or plastic keys?  If t comes with glass keys, I would advise against removing them, as it devalues the machine.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

27-1-2018 21:30:07  #4

I actually wanted to make a replica of Ian Fleming's machine Using a set of glass keys and painting it black with gold chrome instead of real gold. A real one is way above my budget so I thought why not just make a replica. He's one of my favorite authors. Would a complete set of key tops with key levers work if changed out? Maybe I could find a low cost parts machine with the keys in tact.

27-1-2018 23:34:01  #5

Hi Again

​Instead of doing all sorts of monkeying around chopping and changing parts around, why not buy something like eBay item #122937176877 or # 322401465644 or 292420045887 and work with those. The clear topped keys are already on the machine, and if you intend to paint it anyway, the second one would probably look better with a decent paint job. Just some thoughts,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-1-2018 02:20:36  #6

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Again

​Instead of doing all sorts of monkeying around chopping and changing parts around, why not buy something like eBay item #122937176877 or # 322401465644 or 292420045887 and work with those. The clear topped keys are already on the machine, and if you intend to paint it anyway, the second one would probably look better with a decent paint job. Just some thoughts,

​Sky

Hi Sky,

None of those is the same model as the Fleming typewriter. His was a 1952 and I wanted to replicate that. There are gold ones that look like the earlier ones but the 52 looks different. The regular colored 52's have plastic keys. The gold and black ones have the glass keys. I'm not going to do anything that can't be undone. I won't ruin a typewriter to do this although some would say I would be ruining it by painting it. As you showed with one of the ebay numbers, some of them could use a good repaint. Thanks for the ideas.

Steve

Board footera