You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-1-2018 06:09:17  #1

Smith Corona Calypso

I have a smith corona calypso on which the plastic ribbon spools have broken. It seems that the spools are not available to buy as they are smaller then the standard sized spools and the replacement ribbons available have to be manually wound on to the original spools. Is anyone aware of anywhere that sells replacement spools of this size?

27-1-2018 09:08:54  #2

Re: Smith Corona Calypso

jonesra, the Calypso looks to be similar to the Corsair which also uses a smaller spool than the bigger portables and standards. Do these spools seem to be similar to the ones you have?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Corona-Typewriter-Ribbon-Corsair-DeLuxe-Cougar-Zephyr-Super-G-Skyriter-SCM/152632666844?hash=item23899daadc:g:2cUAAOSwl2RZciN6

27-1-2018 11:03:51  #3

Hi OliverNo.9 yes i think they are the same size as the corsair, thank you for the link, if I can't find anything in the UK I'll try these.

27-1-2018 14:25:53  #4

Hi Jonesra

​Oliver is correct, your Calypso takes the Smith-Corona series 3 spools. These spools were used on the entire Y- series of the Smith Corona typewriters, right from the very first 1Y- Zephyrs through the Skyriter 2Y- to 4Y-, onto the 5Y- to 7Y- light portables like your machine and the Super-G and lastly on the portable electrics like the CT and XT series.

​Here's where letting us know your location in the first post really helps. This is an international forum base in Canada with a large US contingent of members. Therefore, it's not unreasonable for members to assume you are also in the USA. As we now know you are in the UK, I was going to suggest Globe Typewriters or Oliver typewriter supplies or The Typewriter Man in Luton, but none of those show any stock of SC series 3 ribbon spools. Therefore, it looks like Oliver's link is probably your best bet.

​Occasionally, I manage to find an older model Skyriter that still has one or both metal spools. These are becoming almost as rare as hen's teeth, so I'll wind fresh ribbon onto these and keep them with my Zephyr and early Skyriters. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-1-2018 04:07:37  #5

Dear Jonesra,
                       I have a pair of new-old-stock spools that I can sell you, AND I am in the UK.  If you would like them, send me a Private Message !

Best Wishes,

Tom

28-1-2018 05:03:16  #6

Hi Tom
I'm unable to send private messages yet as i haven't posted enough times, but yes I am interested in buying them, are you able to message me?
Rachel

28-1-2018 14:58:59  #7

Dear Rachel, I have sent you a private message !  Best Wishes,  Tom

Board footera