You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-1-2018 22:28:44  #691

Re: New Member Thread

Hi Elle

​Welcome aboard. I'm picking up what you're laying down when it comes to inheriting a typewriter from a family member. I was given my late Mother-in-law's 1969 Hermes 3000 and it has a special place in my collection. The four positions on the color selector are; Blue = top half of ribbon or main color. Red = bottom half of ribbon or secondary color. White circle = no ribbon for cutting stencils for use in duplicators like a Gestetner. White square = middle of the ribbon.

This may seem a little strange at first, why would you want printing that's half black and half red. However, if you're using a single color or solid ribbon, the usual practice is to use up the ink in the top half of the ribbon, then turn the ribbon over by swapping the spools side to side and use the ink in what was the bottom half. The white square allows you to use the middle of the ribbon that still has some ink left after you've used both top and bottom. hope this helps,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-1-2018 12:53:51  #692

Hi skywatcher, thanks so much. That all makes sense, and a great feature to extend the life of the ribbon. I'm so grateful for the info that helps me learn more about how this model works!

29-1-2018 23:47:20  #693

Hey everyone,
I'm new here :-) My name is Karlijn, I'm a 35yo mother of two from lovely Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
I have a parttime job as a homecare nurse, and more hobbies than time, haha. The most important being horseriding, reading,  snailmailing, and analogue photography (I have a humble collection of cameras, my pride and joy being the Olympus OM-1).
We're outnumbered by our pets; we have several chickens, two dogs (a bull terrier and a pomeranian mix, both rescues), two ponies, and a hamster named Boo.
I bought a Triumph junior 12 typewriter just this weekend and am planning to use it for writing letters to my pals. As a kid I used to have a typewriter as well, bought it at a flea market. I'm pretty sure it was a Triumph as well, I'm not too familiar with different brand names but this one was the first that came to mind. It weighed a ton. I remember lugging it home from the market and worrying that the cover wouldn't hold the weight and I'd break my foot if it landed on it.
Sadly I don't have it any more, still, I hope you can help me identify the model, if I describe what it looked like.
Hope to enjoy myself on this board :-)

30-1-2018 07:47:32  #694

Hi Karlijn, welcome! You have excellent taste in cameras -- I have far too many film cameras, and too little time to use them. I am not familiar with the Triumph typewriters, but if you go here http://typewriterdatabase.com/ and find the Triumph listing, you will probably see your old machine.

30-1-2018 10:07:30  #695

Hi Fleetwing, well thank you! The Olympus isn't mine, actually. It belongs to my father-in-law, but I may regard it as my own. And am very happy to do so :-)
I had previously come across the link you provided, but had some trouble navigating the site. I'll need some time to browse all the pictures!

30-1-2018 10:12:23  #696

Just found this forum while searching for a set of typewriter tools. My backround: I went to work for Royal Typewriter Co. in late 1968 after my army hitch was up. Worked for a year or so and then went to Hartford, Conn. to attend factory repair school. Left Royal after they bought out adler. Went back to the school at the factory to work on those. At that same time they began to get into the electronic business. Went to the electronics school. It was sort of a correspondance sort of thing. When I had to quit because of rising cost of living I went into another field. Somewhere along the way I have lost my tool kit. I am just thinking of taking up office machine repair as a retirement hobby.

30-1-2018 10:38:29  #697

Welcome! And if you do find a set of tools, I expect some folks here would love to use your services (if you care to take in customers). In any event, I think we'd love to have the benefit of your knowledge -- there are a lot of Royals out there.

30-1-2018 11:32:38  #698

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am amazed there is still interest in typewriters. This is something I would like to do to keep myself busy. The last machines I worked on were the "550", "660", and the Adler. Did a lot of service calls at the State Capitol and a large air base. They were big users of ocr machines, which I enjoyed working on. Sure, if someone needs a little help, I would try my best. It has been a long time since I have repaired any machines and my knowledge is pretty dated.

30-1-2018 12:38:57  #699

Well, your knowledge may be dated, but so are the typewriters! Just curious, where are you located?

30-1-2018 16:26:14  #700

I am located about half way between OKC & Tulsa. I was at that time working at the Royal office on Pennsylvania there in OKC. Right between Bosco's Nut, Bolt, and Screw and Tom's Toasted Peanuts. I noticed you are there in Hartford. I really enjoyed my time there. Stayed in an apt. bldg. that I think was owned by Royal, or Litton. Had my first try of Shark stake at a nice café there in downtown Hartford. I wonder what happened to that factory after Royal went out.

Board footera