You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-1-2018 21:30:39  #1

Thoughts on any of these: Rem. 5, Erika, Rheinmetall, Underwood, SC

Hi there!

I've shaped up the list of contenders for my next typer, and now I'm hoping to get as many thoughts as possible before I pull the trigger. I have no access to typewriters for the most part, so I rely on others' testimony. I'm a writer, and whatever I get next will be my novel-churn/poem enscriber for the foreseeable future--hopefully for the long-haul. I can't completely separate form from function, so these are chosen at least partially by their style.

Whatever thoughts and opinions you have about any or all of the following would be greatly appreciated. Typing action is going to be the most important criteria, followed closely by reliability, but I'll take any thoughts you have. Right now, I'm looking at:

1. A Remington 5 streamlined portable (mid-30's to 40's version)
2. An Erika 5, M, or 10 portable
3. A Rheinmetall post-war portable
4. An Underwood Champion/Universal (the late 30's to early 50s versions)
5. A Smith Corona Super/Silent/Clipper/Sterling  (WWII era or the 50's 5 series)

Thanks in advance!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

30-1-2018 22:27:42  #2

Re: Thoughts on any of these: Rem. 5, Erika, Rheinmetall, Underwood, SC

If typing action and reliability are your most important criteria, seems to me an Olympia SM9 would be the way to go. I know, not as "classic" looking as the ones on your list, but if you need a workhorse, that would be the way to go. I think.

I think 4 and 5 are fine choices. A Finger-Flite Champion or "speedline" Sterling would be my particular recommendations. But seriously, the Olympia is better.

30-1-2018 23:05:37  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

If typing action and reliability are your most important criteria, seems to me an Olympia SM9 would be the way to go. I know, not as "classic" looking as the ones on your list, but if you need a workhorse, that would be the way to go. I think.

I think 4 and 5 are fine choices. A Finger-Flite Champion or "speedline" Sterling would be my particular recommendations. But seriously, the Olympia is better.

Thanks for the advice! I've heard so many good things about those SM-9's that I've no doubt they are superb machines. And eventually I'm sure I'll get ahold of one. But, alas, I just can't keep visual appeal out of my criteria. And those later SMs are...aesthetically uninspiring, to put it as nicely as possible. If you can recommend, say, the SM2 through 5 just as enthusiastically, I may have to add them to the list. Those sure are nice to look at.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

31-1-2018 01:05:30  #4

Erika 10 is a delight to use, soft and heavyish feeling, well cleaned has a really nice touch. Rheinmetall kst is a bit less soft and sound a bit more like a raw metalic mechanism, if that is usefull explanation... both are nice and classic, for my eyes both look much better than a newer models that, I agree are not really nice, after all we are talking about typewriters, not megabytes and memory capacity, is much about the feeling in every sense, not just the pure functionality.

31-1-2018 08:24:27  #5

steini wrote:

Erika 10 is a delight to use, soft and heavyish feeling, well cleaned has a really nice touch. Rheinmetall kst is a bit less soft and sound a bit more like a raw metalic mechanism, if that is usefull explanation...

That is definitely a useful comparison. Thanks!

31-1-2018 11:13:46  #6

tricnomistal wrote:

Hi there!

I've shaped up the list of contenders for my next typer, and now I'm hoping to get as many thoughts as possible before I pull the trigger. I have no access to typewriters for the most part, so I rely on others' testimony. I'm a writer, and whatever I get next will be my novel-churn/poem enscriber for the foreseeable future--hopefully for the long-haul. I can't completely separate form from function, so these are chosen at least partially by their style.

Whatever thoughts and opinions you have about any or all of the following would be greatly appreciated. Typing action is going to be the most important criteria, followed closely by reliability, but I'll take any thoughts you have. Right now, I'm looking at:

1. A Remington 5 streamlined portable (mid-30's to 40's version)
2. An Erika 5, M, or 10 portable
3. A Rheinmetall post-war portable
4. An Underwood Champion/Universal (the late 30's to early 50s versions)
5. A Smith Corona Super/Silent/Clipper/Sterling (WWII era or the 50's 5 series)

Thanks in advance!

First of all, I will definitely agree with Fleetwing's suggestion of the Olympia SM9, even while agreeing with your opinion of its aesthetics. After that, I will recommend the better-looking Olympia SM4 (because of its Tab arrangement) and SM3; dunno about SM1, 2, or 5 but though probably the same in action, they are less common and older (regarding wear, although individual treatment is more important than simple age these days). Also recommend the Torpedo 18 (and similar models?) as looking like the SM4 but having an even lighter touch and segment shift.

I know nothing abut Erikas and Rheinmetalls. Of the remainder of your explicit list, I would chose the Smith-Corona 5 series, based on my own experience with all those models.

Of course, if your criteria are typing action and reliability, you should be looking at standard office models, particularly Royal and Olympia.

HTH. You're in a great position to be having so many choices.

31-1-2018 11:36:50  #7

Well, one manufacturer that has a really cute typewriter is Optima, the Elite3, it is beautiful, and with a nice touch, but carriage shift.. And totally agree with Mr Höhme, the care that has have the typewriter can give a huge diference on the machine... is better if you try the machine, specially if you want to use it.  Anyway, to write long better a standard yes, but they are so damm big and heavy! I own a huge Rheinmetall, and is so big and heavy that I just I don't take it down the shelf out of pure laziness and type with a portable one.  So if you go for a standard I suggest you to make place in a desk before so it has a permanent place there.

31-1-2018 13:06:25  #8

tricnomistal wrote:

I'm a writer, and whatever I get next will be my novel-churn/poem enscriber for the foreseeable future--hopefully for the long-haul. ... Typing action is going to be the most important criteria, followed closely by reliability...

​Looks like I'm the only one wondering why - based on the above criteria - you aren't looking for a standard instead of a portable? If I was to get rid of my entire collection and be left with only one tool with which to work, you can be sure that it would be a standard model, and more than likely a SG1. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2018 14:23:43  #9

The two posts above were also raising the question of why not a standard, and it's worth asking the question, particularly if the OP plans to use the machine heavily.

Given that he isn't enamored of the looks of the SM9, I guess the SG3 would also be out of the question -- so yes, the SG1. I also think an Underwood SX/Rhythm Touch or Royal KMM would also suit nicely, if a more "classic" look is desired.

31-1-2018 14:32:08  #10

Uwe wrote:

tricnomistal wrote:

I'm a writer, and whatever I get next will be my novel-churn/poem enscriber for the foreseeable future--hopefully for the long-haul. ... Typing action is going to be the most important criteria, followed closely by reliability...

​Looks like I'm the only one wondering why - based on the above criteria - you aren't looking for a standard instead of a portable? If I was to get rid of my entire collection and be left with only one tool with which to work, you can be sure that it would be a standard model, and more than likely a SG1. 

You definitely aren't the only one who's mentioned a standard machine...

M. Höhne wrote:

Of course, if your criteria are typing action and reliability, you should be looking at standard office models, particularly Royal and Olympia.

steini wrote:

Anyway, to write long better a standard yes, but they are so damm big and heavy! ... So if you go for a standard I suggest you to make place in a desk before so it has a permanent place there.

I'd love a good full-featured standard machine--an Underwood Touchmaster 5 or an SG1, like you mentioned. Right now, though, it just isn't practical. I need something I can use on my lap in the kitchen once the kiddies have gone to sleep or be able to carry to the office to write on my lunch break. I don't have room for a desk in my apartment, at the moment. Trust me, though, a solid standard is high on my list of eventual machines!

Board footera