You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-2-2018 18:44:32  #1

Smith Corona Super Sterling - Only advances with cap locks on

Hello,  I have a recent ebay buy 'Smith Corona Super Sterling'. I have found two issues I'd like to resolve.  1) If I type with cap locks off e.g. lower case letters the carriage does not move with each press and all the letters just type on top of each other on the paper. If I click on cap lock I can type and the carriage advances with each key press.  2) the ribbon holder will rise when a key is pressed and does not always return or back to it resting position. It feels like something is hanging up in the linkage.  3) What kind of lube do you suggest. I was thinking a silicone spray since it wont get gummy.  Sincerely,
Mike

01-2-2018 22:18:17  #2

Re: Smith Corona Super Sterling - Only advances with cap locks on

Hello, 

I was able to figure out #2. The ribbon holder was rubbing when it extended to reach for the red ink. 

I figured out #1. It was related to the escapement. There are two bars that stick out on the left and right. Left side bar for typing and right bar for spacing.The bar on the left if the unit is upside down with the carriage away from you, was bent in a way that allowed the activator to miss the escapement bare because is was over the notch in the activator. It had to be bent back so the bars was always over the activator. In is previous position when the bail dropped for capital letters the activator bar moved down allowing it to trigger the escapement for capital letters only. 

Now it works. 

My big clue was in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5pZ7zjFf8 at time code 5:54 . It is a clear shot of the escapement showing the activator bar a sharp right angle. Mine did not look like that. 

Thanks, 
Mike 

Board footera