You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2018 06:24:12  #1

A tale of two Olympias - SM2s one with a tangled drawband repair

The other types well now, but the casing is a disaster. I should have sent it back as it did not look like the pictures,  but with the weight I would lose a lot on postage, and thought it could be repainted or recycled. It looks like it was repainted in the dark, and the paint has not set or bonded with the original colour. The logo is bubbled and damaged, so it is sadly very messy.....my son could have it but not with the sticky paint, who knows what that is I might have to pretend I don’t have this machine unless all the paint can be removed.

The other was to replace it, and I think it can be fixed if you know how with the right tools...so I would like to ask for help with that please    I think it was dropped in the post. The carriage does not advance.  I can see the nylon drawband or cord tangled around the mainspring pulley. It is still attached to the carriage and the mainspring. The ribbon cover and some other bits had fallen off too, and there was a small spring in the case loose, I think it came off the correction table piece, so any advice to untangle or replace the draw cord would be a great help please.

Otherwise I could swap the working machine with the nice casing, but for continuity I like keeping original parts together and the repainted one has slightly different fixtures and looks like it was made at another time

They look like the Olympia SM2 (no tab key) the nice looking one has a serial number 1358680, and the the repainted one is 408430. They both have dark green keys and platen knobs. The nice one is a light cream/very pale green, the repainted one was olive.

05-2-2018 12:47:31  #2

Re: A tale of two Olympias - SM2s one with a tangled drawband repair

I fixed the SM2 with a tangled drawband by replacing it with some fishing line. I used a long spring hook.  I saw a youtube video about fixing an older typewriter, and the same technique worked 

The other SM2 with the bad paint issues I will get the paint removed, I tried myself but the home diy type of paint stripper is not strong enough, more of a renovation than a restoration for that one.

Board footera