You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2018 04:03:00  #1

'Patchy' ink ribbon?

I've written a few letters with my typewriter and am working on one richt now. The ribbon has been replaced for a brand new one on Feb 1st. Still, after typing 1.5 - 2 A4 sheets of paper it's as if the ink has 'run out', this lasts for 2 or 3 lines and then all is fine again for another 2 sheets or so.
What may cause this and how can I fix it?

10-2-2018 04:30:04  #2

Re: 'Patchy' ink ribbon?

Either the ribbon has dry patches (unlikely but possible) or it isn't winding on correctly.  Have you checked that it is installed properly, or if it is definitely the correct ribbon for your typewriter ?  Try typing with the ribbon cover off and see if the spools are moving as you type.

13-2-2018 11:36:59  #3

I have a couple of typewriters that take a loooong time to switch ribbon directions. Consequently, there is a spot at the each end of the ribbon where the slugs keep hitting the same spot over and over while the typewriter mechanism does its direction-switching thing. I wonder if you are typing single spaced, in which case a ribbon length might only last for 1-1/2 to 2 pages. (Or maybe you have a shorter ribbon than most.) It's just a possibility that you are reaching the end of your ribbon and there is a "dry" spot. Best fix for that is to recognize when you are close to the end and manually switch ribbon directions.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

14-2-2018 02:22:01  #4

Treefaller, yes I do type single spaced. So maybe it's that. Clearly I have a lot to learn because I thought a ribbon would last waaaay longer before switching direction!
I haven't taken the cover off yet to see what is actually happening.
Thetypewriterman: the ribbon has been changed for me and came from the website gtb4u.nl, which I am told is owned by a guy who knows what he's talking about.
How can I check if the ribbon is the correct one?

14-2-2018 05:17:41  #5

If you are able to post a picture of the machine with the ribbon cover lifted or removed, we can check to see if you are using the correct spools.  Also, it may be obvious from the picture if the ribbon is correctly installed !

14-2-2018 14:48:52  #6

Following up on thetypewriterman's comment, try typing with the cover removed. If things work properly with the cover off, then it could be the spools do not fit under the cover.

Your countrymen are dominating the speed skating! Most impressive.

15-2-2018 04:32:29  #7

I will put up some pictures later today!

(Fleetwing, thank you, I'm so proud! Used to have speedskating ambitions myself, a lifetime ago... I'm going to watch the 10k this afternoon!)

15-2-2018 10:33:27  #8

I'm going to consider the 10K a Dutch win -- the Canadian winner was a Dutch citizen until three years ago!

15-2-2018 14:12:18  #9

Fleetwing wrote:

I'm going to consider the 10K a Dutch win -- the Canadian winner was a Dutch citizen until three years ago!

Took a few pictures of the typewriter. I'm not sure what to look for so I hope they're useful.
How can I manually change the direction? It's now moving from right to left.

https://flic.kr/p/231FuXX

https://flic.kr/p/231Fvor

https://flic.kr/p/24iZXRC

https://flic.kr/p/21C3Hhq

15-2-2018 14:48:47  #10

The narrow gates the ribbon passes through as it comes off each spool are the mechanism that switches the spool direction. The grommets on the ends of the ribbon cannot pass through the gate, so the gate moves and causes the ribbons to reverse direction. Try moving the gates by hand.

There usually is some sort of button or lever that activates the ribbon reverse without your having to touch the gates, though.

Board footera