You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-1-2018 04:53:14  #1

Remington Quiet Riter cleaning and paint.

Hi guys, I've just adquired a Remington Quiet Riter. It is in quite good shape and I'm hoping to receive it soon. However I'll have to clean it and lubricate the mechanism. I'd like to ask for help to do it. Also, I've realized there are some Little spots where the Paint just vanished, just wanted to know if I'm able to repare it my own or I have to take it to a workshop to repair that Paint issues.

Thanks in advance!

24-1-2018 10:04:45  #2

Re: Remington Quiet Riter cleaning and paint.

Good idea, ikerbuda, except do not "lubricate" your typewriter. They are made to run dry and if there is some reason you think something should be oiled, ask here first about whether it really should be. It's really tempting for us guys to oil everything that moves, especially with so many joints, and for some machines that's appropriate, but not here. Oil both holds dust and congeals, and both of those gum up the works over time. Some will say that dry lubes and silicones, etc. will avoid that---but if it's not needed in the first place, why? </lecture>

25-1-2018 13:43:37  #3

Well so, what can you tecah me about the painting of the machine? Also if lubricating the machine is not nice for it, I'd need also some advice with my lettera 32... The keys look more difficult to press than before... and that's an issue when I'm typing...

25-1-2018 14:56:12  #4

Hi Ike

​You'll find there are two camps when it comes to oil or not to oil, that is the question. Here's what I've gathered from reading through various typewriter repair manuals.

Typewriter repair shops used to have two dunk tanks as they serviced a lot of machines in a day. The first dunk tank was filled with solvent only for washing out the internal mechanics of the unit. The second dunk tank was a mixture of solvent and light machine oil. Once the mechanism had been washed out and left to air dry for a few hours to a couple of days, the mechanism was then dunked in the second tank and, again left to dry. The solvent would evaporate leaving a very thin film of oil over everything.

​At that time in typewriter history, typewriters were regularly used pieces of equipment so the oil never had a chance to gum up between annual servicing for office machines and servicing every 2 or 3 years for home machines. In general, I'd be inclined to say that for the typewriters of today that sit for years at a time doing nothing, one camp says not to oil as oil attracts dust and gums up. The other camp says to oil as the oil protects the metal against moisture and corrosion as well as lubricating the moving parts.

Take a look at this post​ to see where I stand on whether or not to oil. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-2-2018 14:01:56  #5

Thanks!

​The machine just arrived so I don't think I'll have to go further wth the oiling issues. Thanks for the post information, as I have another machine, an Olivetti Lettera, which I might oil. I'll look onto that post to inform myself before doing anything bad to the machine.

​Back to the remington, it's in great shape, except for the Paint, that looks dusty and not in a very good way. Maybe it's because it's old. The case it's fine with some parts of the Green cover removed, or some of the outside ones.
​My problema comes when it comes to place the ribbon. I red a tutorial to learn and everything and, at the right spool, it appears to be missing a Little ring that I already have on the left spool. It has a Little spike to hold the ribbon at it goes attatched to that part. My question is if that is very important and, where do I can buy it or if there is any way to replace it making it myself asking to a shop or something. 

Thanks in advance, the machine Works great!

01-2-2018 15:47:36  #6

Yes, this is the Remington "non-spool" that confused me when I got my first typewriter. The metal ring IS the spool, essentially. But, I think you should be able to make things work OK without it.

The ring slips over another ring on the typewriter's spool holder, which has an opening for the lever that trips the ribbon reverse mechanism -- the ribbon keeps that lever in place, and when the ribbon unwinds completely from the spool the lever pops out, and the ribbon reverses and starts to wind back onto that spool holder. (Make sure that the slot on the ring on the left spool is lined up with the opening on the spool holder.)

Now, on the right side spool holder, there should be a second slot. Does your ribbon have a metal grommet near the end? If so, slip that grommet inside that second slot -- it should work more or less the same as the spike you mentioned that is on the ring, and holds the ribbon in place on the right side spool.If the ribbon does not have a grommet, tie a knot in the end of the ribbon and put that knot inside the second slot in the spool holder -- make sure the knot is big enough to not slip out.

Does this make sense? Good luck.

Oh, one more thing -- did the typewriter come with top covers for the spools? They should be metal with three prongs that slide down inside the spool rings. They keep the ribbon winding evenly, and are useful if you need to manually wind ribbon.

02-2-2018 04:27:46  #7

The machine actually Works without that part. The only problema I see is that the paper sujection bar isn't as tight as it should be and that the m is not as well impressed as the other types. However the ribbon mechanism Works great. I was asking for a substitute just because I love this machine and I'd like to have that Little part that is missing. Also, the ribbon covers where in the setup, I have both. The only part missing is the ribbon ring...

02-2-2018 22:39:39  #8

ikerbuda wrote:

The only problema I see is that the paper sujection bar isn't as tight as it should be and that the m is not as well impressed as the other types. However the ribbon mechanism Works great. I was asking for a substitute just because I love this machine and I'd like to have that Little part that is missing. Also, the ribbon covers where in the setup, I have both. The only part missing is the ribbon ring...

You can get correct Remington spools online if you want to get the ring for the right side spool. But I'm glad it works fine without the ring.

I'm not quite sure I understand your first sentence in the quote. It sounds like you're saying that the paper doesn't feed very well, so the paper slips? The feed rollers may be hard and have lost their grip, and the platen also. Try using one or two pieces of backing paper to see if that helps tighten things. And I understand the M doesn't type as well? Check all the linkages -- maybe something is bent so that the typebar can't strike with as much force. Or maybe the M type slug is slightly out of alignment so that it strikes one side of the type guide rather than hitting the ribbon squarely.

05-2-2018 11:53:32  #9

Fleetwing wrote:

ikerbuda wrote:

The only problema I see is that the paper sujection bar isn't as tight as it should be and that the m is not as well impressed as the other types. However the ribbon mechanism Works great. I was asking for a substitute just because I love this machine and I'd like to have that Little part that is missing. Also, the ribbon covers where in the setup, I have both. The only part missing is the ribbon ring...

You can get correct Remington spools online if you want to get the ring for the right side spool. But I'm glad it works fine without the ring.

I'm not quite sure I understand your first sentence in the quote. It sounds like you're saying that the paper doesn't feed very well, so the paper slips? The feed rollers may be hard and have lost their grip, and the platen also. Try using one or two pieces of backing paper to see if that helps tighten things. And I understand the M doesn't type as well? Check all the linkages -- maybe something is bent so that the typebar can't strike with as much force. Or maybe the M type slug is slightly out of alignment so that it strikes one side of the type guide rather than hitting the ribbon squarely.

​Well, thanks for the info! I'll look forward to find a remington spool somewhere... Do they sell them on amazon? Also, on my other sentence... I'm sorry, my english keeps improving but I'm not as precise as I'd like to be. I do not know how to eplain it... it's like a Little metal bar that holds the paper close to the roll. It is not as tight as it should be and maybe I take it to a workshop to fix this and more things.

10-2-2018 13:14:09  #10

First of all, I have worked on the same machine and must say that not a single drop of oil is needed anywhere.  I just soaked line with white mineral spirits to get rid of all the junk.  It was pretty trashed.
Secondly, I you don’t have the original spools, get replacements.  In order for the reversal and wind functions to work, you need the right spools.
Lastly, the Bail rollers...that’s the bar that holds the paper down.  It’s hardly ever tight enough.  Very flimsy.  Just make sure all the springs are attached.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera