You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2018 06:26:25  #1

Hermes 3000 typeface slug code ID

I've searched high and low but haven't been able to find any info regarding the slug ID naming conventions for Hermes typewriters.

i.e:

S TP = Techno Pica
S PP = Petit Pica

Does anyone have a definitive list with the associated slug ID's? What is this one?

S 6 = ?

07-2-2018 16:10:51  #2

Re: Hermes 3000 typeface slug code ID

I don't think that Hermes ever manufactured its own slugs, and given that there were at least six suppliers (that I'm aware of) of slugs used by Hermes, you won't find an across-the-board "naming convention". ​In other words, you need to match the markings of the slug to its actual manufacturer's typeface list.

​The S6 slug you're asking about should be one of the Setag pica typefaces (there were a number of them). A S7 in a Hermes would be a Setag elite.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-2-2018 06:42:09  #3

08-2-2018 12:16:11  #4

Georg's website is a great resource for Hermes information and I have a lot of respect for his efforts. I hadn't read that page before, which includes slug information for licenced Hermes models too (he's used one of my photos for them), but the page is missing Ransmayer & Rodrian data. I suspect he's fully aware of their use, but I'll send him an email just to be sure.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-2-2018 20:45:15  #5

Update on slug codes:

S TP = Techno Pica
S PP = Petit Pica
S DE = Director Elite
S NO = Epoca
S 6 = Pica

14-2-2018 21:56:41  #6

S DP= Director Pica
It could be deduced, but I thought I'd add it to your list.

15-2-2018 07:14:27  #7

pdate on slug codes:

S TP = Techno Pica
S PP = Petit Pica
S DE = Director Elite
S DP = Director Pica
S NO = Epoca
S 6 = Pica
S 7 = Elite Pica

15-2-2018 22:02:08  #8

My Hermes 3000 has S TE on the slugs. By extrapolation I'm going to say that's a TECHNO ELITE typeface. That's good to know information. I have been a little unsure of that for awhile. Thanks sys700. You have a nice collection.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

16-2-2018 07:49:19  #9

Awesome...that makes it:

S TP = Techno Pica
S TE = Techno Elite
S PP = Petit Pica
S DE = Director Elite
S DP = Director Pica
S NO = Epoca
S 6 = Pica
S 7 = Elite Pica

PS: As much as I like typewriterdatabase.com, I find it sorely lacking in detail. Sometimes there is a typeface included, sometimes not. Even if there is, you can't be sure if it's elite or pica. It's really just a gallery, not a database. I'd really like to see a comprehensive database of H3000 typewriters by serial number, typeface, body style, year, special characters, etc. so that we can see how many of a particular model actually exist. For example, I would love to be able to crunch the data to see how many "Petit Pica" were made.

16-2-2018 07:54:25  #10

For example, it was only through studying numerous photos that I discovered that the Script version of the H3000 does not have a 3/4 symbol. Instead, it has a numeral 1 key in its place. I've seen variations with square bracket keys, and two different Deluxe cases (one with chrome trim, one painted). Would be really nice to document all the variations in one database file.

Board footera