You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2018 18:53:19  #1

1957 Remington Super Riter - Carriage Issues

Hello. I recently got my first typewriter from GoodWill and I'm having an issue with it. It's a 1957 Remington Super Riter serial J27759970 with the wide 20" carriage. The carriage sometimes gets stuck while typing, most of the time it's either while all the way to the left of the page with margins set (seems to work fine if I go all the way to the end without the margin tabs)  or about mid-way down the page. Sometimes hitting tab will make it move again and then can continue typing normally, other times the manual carriage levers are pressed to make it move. I cleaned the rails with mineral spirits earlier and that seemed to at least remove the mid-way stuck point for a little bit but it came back. I don't see any noticeable damage, but I'm not sure what I need to be looking for in particular. If needed I can take  video of what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

12-2-2018 23:42:01  #2

Re: 1957 Remington Super Riter - Carriage Issues

1) does the carriage move smoothly when you return it?
2) does the carriage move as you type at the far end of the page (right)

I would recommend throughly brushing and flushing out the escapement with mineral spirits.  Brush it on, move it around, repeat.  A gummy escapement might be causing some issues.  Just keep cleaning and flushing....

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

16-2-2018 23:23:23  #3

Are there any particular parts I should be looking to clean? I cleaned the rails a few times but still no difference.

17-2-2018 09:51:12  #4

Not until you can answer those above two questions.  I’m not entirely sure what’s going on.

17-2-2018 10:42:31  #5

Lucas Dul wrote:

1) does the carriage move smoothly when you return it?
2) does the carriage move as you type at the far end of the page (right)

1. It does sometimes feel like there is a little bit of friction going on when returning it.
2. When I have the right margin all the way to the right edge, it stops about two inches from the end. If I push the carriage from the right side it continues moving.

20-2-2018 19:43:59  #6

If the rails are clean, try cleaning the escapement and then place a drip of oil on the star wheel

Board footera