You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-2-2018 19:43:23  #1

Olympia SG3 (?) Red sticky sludge

Hi all,
  Just picked up what I think is an SG3 in great shape from a thrift store for $25. I tested the keys and they seemed sluggish, I just it was the usual crud. I've noticed what seems to be a sticky reddish substance under the typebars. Has anyone encountered this before? Should I tackle it like a normal cleaning?
Thanks,
  Jeff

I'm up to 15 machines...I just started collecting in December...I think I have a problem!

21-2-2018 04:41:59  #2

Re: Olympia SG3 (?) Red sticky sludge

It could be very fine powdered rust.  This happens when a typewriter is used for years with no lubrication.  Yes, normal cleaning will remove it, and although it is not normally recommended, I think you should lubricate the segment very lightly - the machine is obviously crying out for it !

21-2-2018 10:45:12  #3

You said this was "under the typebars" -- do you mean that the typeslugs were sticking to the typebar rest? I had that with an SM9; it took numerous applications of naphtha (and my fingernails) to get it off, once I figured out that it wasn't the segment that needed cleaning. I had to clean it off both the backs of the slugs and the typebar rest. I've heard of this on other Olympias also.

21-2-2018 18:49:49  #4

Fleetwing wrote:

You said this was "under the typebars" -- do you mean that the typeslugs were sticking to the typebar rest? I had that with an SM9; it took numerous applications of naphtha (and my fingernails) to get it off, once I figured out that it wasn't the segment that needed cleaning. I had to clean it off both the backs of the slugs and the typebar rest. I've heard of this on other Olympias also.

Yes, it was the typebar rest, in the metal that the typebar rest rubber piece fits into and a bit on the side of the machine. The slugs were sticking to it. Wow, this stuff is gross, took me a long time to scrub down the rubber, I'll tackle the side of the machine later. Any idea what this stuff is?

21-2-2018 19:40:58  #5

Read this post -- scroll down to "Stubborn Brown Goo." This is just what I had on mine. She speculates that it's old lube or maybe glue from the typebar rest. https://myoldtypewriter.wordpress.com/category/olympia-sm7/

21-2-2018 19:50:15  #6

Yup, that's the stuff! Thanks!

22-2-2018 14:11:32  #7

I have some stubborn brown goo on an Olympia SG-3 which is on the typebar rest (on the inside behind the keyboard; a very hard place to get to) that I would love to get cleaned up. 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

23-2-2018 20:13:52  #8

If everyone keeps finding it in the same place on the typebar rest, I'm really thinking it was the adhesive that held it down. It must work its way out over time and then gets distributed by the slugs.

Board footera