You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-2-2018 09:43:21  #1

Platen recovering Canada

Hi all,
I've got a few beautiful machines that sound like machine guns when I type on them. The machine I most like to use, a 1960/61 Alpina sk24, sounds almost woody, like I'm hammering away directly on wood. My wife can't stand it when I type in our apartment. Does anyone have tips or tricks to reduce the sound? (And yep, I use a felt mat under the machine.) I'm in Toronto and frequently in Montreal. Are there any Canadian platen restorers?
Cheers, 
Bob

21-2-2018 16:00:18  #2

Re: Platen recovering Canada

I assume that you're using a backing sheet, or two?

​The first step would be to use a liberal amount of rubber rejuvenator on the platen, which can soften the rubber a little - sometimes enough to make a difference if your platen isn't extremely hard.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-2-2018 08:19:24  #3

Thanks for your tips, Uwe. Indeed, I generally use a thick backing sheet under a regular piece of printer paper (what I generally have on hand). With the Alpina, it doesn't seem to make much difference, even with three sheets. The next step is the rubber rejuvenator. I assume I need to fully remove the platen to apply it, eh?

22-2-2018 17:37:20  #4

No. I spray the rejuvenator onto a piece of paper towel that has been folded many time to form a thick pad and then wipe it back and forth on the platen as I turn it. I don't recommend spraying directly on the platen as any overspray - and it will happen - can damage paint. You may need to repeat this process up to a dozen times before you'll begin to soften things enough to make a difference. I can speak from experience that it will work with platens that are in the 93A to 97A range; even though there isn't much hope for platens harder than 97A (they shouldn't be used), I always try the rejuvenator anyway.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-2-2018 12:46:43  #5

That's great; thanks for letting me know! As for picking up some Blow Off, any leads on where to pick some up north of the border?

24-2-2018 12:29:05  #6

I get mine from justonecable.ca and typically order several cans at a time for pick it up from their warehouse (DVP and Lawrence area). It is (was) around $6 + taxes per can. I have an extra can on the shelf if ordering through them is too much of a hassle for you. 

26-2-2018 09:56:44  #7

Hi Uwe,
Thanks so much for your reply and offer. I'm looking on their site and they don't appear to have the rubber rejuvenator in stock. I may just take you up on your offer, but will look around a bit more first.
Thanks again, Bob

26-2-2018 11:35:22  #8

I'd suggest giving them a call; if its out of stock they'll notify you when it's available again.

02-3-2018 16:49:50  #9

Smart thinking. Thanks!

09-4-2021 16:04:25  #10

I have ordered two cans of Blow Off from Upper Canada; don't know when they will reach me by the postal service.

Does the lack of suggestions mean there are NO tradesmen who will recover a platen in Canada?

Board footera