You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-2-2018 13:14:52  #1

Smith Corona Corsair Restoration.

I recently came across an old smith corona corsair typewriter in pretty decent condition. I have taken a few photos.

Up to this point, I have done the following:
-re spooled new ribbon over (the reels of the replacement did not fit)
-cleaned the type-slugs (I think that's what you call them) with a needle and some toothpicks.
-wipe the platen with a damp cloth.

I am trying to figure out how to remove the platen so I can clean it better. I tried following the instructions in the smith corona portables manual that I found online.... but that refers to all their models and not this specific one. The actual corsair manual I found too, but it doesn't mention how to do it. Don't want to break anything.

Anyways. I decided to do some typing to see how it works and determine any other issues. Here is an example of my type:as well as pictures of the machine itself

https://imgur.com/a/6IyFh

I noticed sometimes the letters are the same consistent shade of black. I'm trying to type as consistently as possible but I feel like I'm using too much force as the paper is getting imprinted with the letters (i can feel it on the backside of the paper).

Additionally, I am wondering if it is possible to take the outer housing or shell of the typewriter off so I can give it a thorough cleaning. I have done some reading myself and they say mineral spirits is good for cleaning the inner workings as well as type-slugs, etc. However I know that varsol is quite a potent chemical and will probably destroy the plastic, so I'm wondering if I can take it out of the plastic housing. 

The last thing I want to mention is that the space bar sometimes get stuck down, and sometimes when typing letters there is an overlap of the previous letter (i.e. not moving over enough after each character). Any ideas on how best to proceed? I think the machine overall is in pretty decent condition.

Thanks

24-2-2018 14:08:00  #2

Re: Smith Corona Corsair Restoration.

If things are gummy, try cleaning it out with mineral spirits.  Brush and flush the mechanism.  I haven’t worked on this particular machine, so I don’t know all the quirks, but there should be a leaver on the right side of the carriage that releases the right platen knob.  If you pull out the line space detent on the left knob, the whole thing can shift right and out

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

24-2-2018 16:29:49  #3

Lucas Dul wrote:

If things are gummy, try cleaning it out with mineral spirits. Brush and flush the mechanism. I haven’t worked on this particular machine, so I don’t know all the quirks, but there should be a leaver on the right side of the carriage that releases the right platen knob. If you pull out the line space detent on the left knob, the whole thing can shift right and out

I will try again... The manual says something about the raising the paper bail AND the erasure table. I assume the paper bail is the bar that comes down over the paper? But I am not sure what the erasure table is. It says there is a release latch... I'm not sure if its labelled or even has a cut-out in the carriage housing. Is removing the housing a difficult task? I can't really access too much as is.. Too cramped and I worry about the mineral spirits damaging the plastic. Anything else I should look for? I guess I can apply mineral spirits too all the linkages.

Thanks for the help.... I assume varsol is more or less a "mineral spirit"?

24-2-2018 16:38:27  #4

Hi Typar

​The Corsair is one of the 5Y- and 6Y- series lightweight portable typewriters which have a lot of plastic in them. Removal of the platen is fairly straight forward, but removal of the top cover can be a real pain if you don't have the right bending tool to unhook the front retaining tabs.

​To remove platen. Move the carriage to left of center and lift front edge of typewriter up. Turn the left platen knob and you will see an Allen screw come into view between the end of the platen and the carriage cover. Remove this screw and the knob will slide off the platen shaft. Next. move the carriage to right of center, disengage the line space detent (pull small square button on front left corner of carriage forward). Release the feed rollers by moving the square button on right hand end of carriage forward and lift the paper bale.

Now move the carriage to the far right and remove the Allen set screw from the right end of platen. The right platen knob will pull out of the platen allowing you to lift the right hand end of the platen just far enough to clear the carriage cover and withdraw the platen to the right. If memory serves me correctly, the Allen screws take a metric Allen key, so make sure you have the correct key, or you'll damage the screws and really be stuck. Hope this points you in the right direction,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera