You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-2-2018 18:32:17  #1

Best ribbon supplier

Where does everyone buy their ribbons from? I saw a youtube video where a person actually bought ribbon in bulk but I haven't found it. I always respool on to original spools anyway, so bulk might be the way to go. Thanks for the info!
Jeff

25-2-2018 12:19:42  #2

Re: Best ribbon supplier

Baco Ribbon sells bulk reels. They don't have a website, so you have to call or email. With a bulk reel, you will have to punch your own eyelets, though--if your machines need them for the ribbon reverse.

25-2-2018 15:11:34  #3

OP, by mentioning your geographical location in the world you'll probably end up with the most convenient sources. Also, when it comes to buying bulk ribbon, keep in mind that you will need to use a LOT of ribbon before that option begins to make any sense.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-2-2018 15:30:21  #4

I live in Connecticut. Right now, I typically buy universal ribbon from amazon and respool onto the original spools. Seemed like a wasteful and expensive way to get ribbon. I was hoping there was an easier/cheaper way. Thank you!

25-2-2018 15:46:18  #5

Hi Jeff

​Knowing you are in CT, the US suppliers will probably work best for you. I bought a 1 km roll of bulk blue ribbon from Baco a few years ago, still have over ½ the roll left. I always load the typewriters I'm selling or giving away with this blue ribbon. As for the YouTube video, look for TypewriterJustice. Charles has a whole lot of videos regarding typewriter care and related subjects, but I don't see the one about loading spools from bulk rolls at the moment. Charles also has an eBay page of the same name, you may have better luck contacting him through eBay. All the best,

​Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

18-4-2018 22:07:18  #6

Hmmm.  If you are talking about rhe inked ribbon *only*, then I'm at a loss who would be the best bulk ribbon supplier.
But if you are asking about typewriter ribbons on spools, that narrows the field for me.
The spools for my Smith-Corona Skyriter are somewhat rare (1-11/16" diameter, splined spindle), which is either B29, or SC-64, so I go with some of the bigger names on eBay or Amazon.com to get them.
The original Skyriter metal spools are no longer available, so I have to be satisfied with the plastic ones.
Ribbons Unlimited or FJA Products can supply my habit.
NOTE: These guys supply Nylon ribbons.
If you want cotton ribbons, you can get it from Ribbons Unlimited, but not on the spools I need.  No biggie; I'll just wind them onto a pair os empties I have lying around.
If you want silk ribbon, then I have to go overseas to a European dealer (I think the seller's eBay handle is "wepper").  Again, I have to wind it onto my own spools. And wait 2-3 weeks for international shipping.to the American West Coast.

Oh, you want black/red?  Ribbons Unlimited.
Oh, you want Green?  Purple?  Blue?  FJA Products.
They may not be cheap, but they deliver a quality product, and ship quickly enough.

I'm not supposed to be such a typing fanatic to need more than a new ribbon every 90 days, so your need to be more economical may override my need for convenience and timliness.

-- Ardie

05-12-2018 21:32:08  #7

I've been very happy with the ribbons I got from mytypewriter.com.  They're not so cheap if you buy them one at a time, but if you order a three-pack, it works out to about $8 apiece. I buy the all-black ribbon, and switch the color selector to different positions (as the top, or the middle segments become used up) to get several times the use out of it.  Theoretically, by the time I've done that, I end up paying about $2.67 "per ribbon."

07-12-2018 15:58:12  #8

If you are near a Staples, they carry the universal-spool ribbons (which will fit your Smith-Corona), only in all black though. Brand name is Porelon, item #11579.

14-1-2021 12:46:12  #9

Update to Ardie's post back from 2018...

You can get silk ribbons on plastic spools (or metal for an up-charge) from Ribbons Unlimited.

I like buying from Lannie there.  They are fast to ship and pack well.

14-1-2021 12:49:38  #10

Regarding the bulk ribbon from Baco.

They are 330 yards per bulk spool.  A typical 2" dia, spool can be wound to hold 18 yards...so you will have enough for 18 each 2" spools from that 330 yard bulk spool. 

And have a bit left over.

Board footera