You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-3-2018 17:00:43  #11

Re: Remington Portables

tricnomistal wrote:

I already have a streamline Remington 5, and I have the platen and feed rollers out to JJ Short for recovery now.

What year is your's, and did you remove the rear feed rollers? If so, did you have to unform the metal braces to the sides of the rear feed rollers to get them out, or were they removable by another means?

01-3-2018 17:51:11  #12

SoucekFan wrote:

tricnomistal wrote:

I already have a streamline Remington 5, and I have the platen and feed rollers out to JJ Short for recovery now.

What year is your's, and did you remove the rear feed rollers? If so, did you have to unform the metal braces to the sides of the rear feed rollers to get them out, or were they removable by another means?

Mine was made in Dec. of 1935. I am getting both the front and rear feed-rollers recovered. And, yes, as unrefined as it sounds, bending the tabs at the ends of the metal braces was the only way I could think of to draw out the rods that hold the rear rollers. This came after a long time observing, researching and pondering how it might be done otherwise. If someone knows a more elegant solution, I wasn't able to find it. I don't know what metal the tabs that hold them are made of, but it was soft enough that they were relatively easy to bend. It gouged the tabs a bit, but I don't spend much time looking at them anyways. I'm using the relative softness of the metal as a weak justification for the idea that that's how the rollers are meant to be removed. The task was still a bit of a pain... Luckily, the front rollers were much easier to remove and the method was much more obvious. 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

01-3-2018 17:54:04  #13

I imagine that these were the braces you were speaking of? 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

01-3-2018 18:18:26  #14

tricnomistal wrote:

I imagine that these were the braces you were speaking of? 

Yes, that is it. I could see no other way either.

Board footera