You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2018 07:48:59  #1

How many machines do you have?

So I'm new to collecting (since December 2017) and I already have 20 machines. I was wondering how many machines most people have. Do you repair and keep them or do you repair and sell them? Do you have a favorite way of selling them (app, shop, craigslist, other)?  Asking for a friend. Well, that friend is my wife. She thinks I'm nuts.
Jeff

Sub-topic: All-time favorite machine you have ever owned and why.

04-3-2018 12:16:59  #2

Re: How many machines do you have?

20 machines in 2-3 months is quite impressive! Now, as for the questions...

Right now I have 192 typewriters. The last one is a Königer Eurographic, and shortly the number will be reduced to 191 because I have a Corona Special ready to be given to my uncle. I´ve never sold any of my typewriters (in fact I´ve only sold a mechanical calculator, a Summira 7) and my repairing abilities have improved over time. Collecting since 2012 and still going on!

My favourite machine... If I can pick two of them these would be the one I started collecting with, my grandfather´s Olivetti Linea 98 and the Continental Silenta. The first has great sentimental value and at the same time its fast and suits my typing better than anything else I´ve tried so far. The latter is the perfect balance between engineering and performance while still looking awesome.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

04-3-2018 13:11:26  #3

JeffMo74 wrote:

So I'm new to collecting (since December 2017) and I already have 20 machines. I was wondering how many machines most people have. Do you repair and keep them or do you repair and sell them? Do you have a favorite way of selling them (app, shop, craigslist, other)?  Asking for a friend. Well, that friend is my wife. She thinks I'm nuts.
Jeff

Sub-topic: All-time favorite machine you have ever owned and why.

This gave me a chuckle -- the "asking for a friend" part. I can relate! Probably need to (she'd say "No, you must") start unloading them. I guess I've got around 30.

05-3-2018 13:43:06  #4

Right now, the typewriter database says I have 43.  However, that is probably a bit low as there are several that aren't on there.  I think the number may be close to 50. 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

05-3-2018 23:37:20  #5

I only have four.  Nobody else in my household appreciates them like I do...they see them as “clutter” or “hoarding behavior.”

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

06-3-2018 10:02:58  #6

I've got 13 in my office, 5 at home, and 10 on my workbench. 
I think the exuberance phase wears off after a while, and the rate of acquisition does as well, once you've seen more of "everything" and have more of them, too. I mean, how many Underwood 5's do you really need?

06-3-2018 11:38:06  #7

Hi Jeff

​What I found when I started collecting was I went kind of nuts about these machines, so probably have 50+. Now that I've been collecting for a few years, I've found I tend to gravitate towards a certain time period and style of machine. I've come to the point where I'm starting to thin the herd a little and focus more on quality than quantity. I can see myself eventually getting down to a dozen or so machines that I really enjoy using. The machines I move on have all been fully cleaned, serviced and tuned up with a new ribbon so whomever buys one from me gets a good working unit ready to type. Hope this sort of answers your question and gives you a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel.

All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-3-2018 18:14:41  #8

So what I think most everyone is saying is that I can comfortably get another 20-30 machines...thanks! What about everyone's favorite...maybe favorite "workhorse" of a machine, one you love to use frequently?

06-3-2018 22:25:02  #9

Well, the SG-1 and SG-3 are always nice to use. I also like the Royal FP a lot.

For portables, Olympia SMs are all great; I'd give the nod to the segment shift machines (SM8 and SM9). The postwar Smith-Coronas, the 4 series (the "speedline" body style) are really nice. I think I like them better than the 5 series of the 1950s, and the 5s are excellent.

07-3-2018 16:56:19  #10

I have about 20 or so but some are parts mules to fix others. My favorites are my 1940 Underwood Champion Typemaster, 1947 Royal QDL & Mercedes k45. It's hard to pick favorites because they're all different but all wonderful.

Board footera