You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2015 07:34:17  #1

How does an Olivetti Lexikon 80 differs from their smaller sisters

I have recently got an Olivetti 44, and got a bit puzzled by how similar its features are compared to a previous Lettera 22 I owned. Except for the size, of course, every other feature - tabs and margins, ribbon color, margin override, typing spring tension selector - is quite similar, at least as far as I remember them.

I have seen some posts and photo galleries where the three Nizzoli-designed models are put side by side, much as being part of the same family.

I have also read many posts where typewriter aficionados always stress the limitations of portables when compared to standard machines.

I consider myself a fast typer (although with a relatively high error rate, so far), and I found the Studio 44 action a bit stiff, although I also remember the L22 action was not featherweight, either.

So my questions are:

- [broadly] what are the main differences between the Lexikon 80 and the others? What would make somebody consider the smaller ones as "unsuitable", and prefer a so much larger machine?
 - [specifically] regarding typing action and speed, are the Lexikons 80 typically different than the smaller ones somehow?

I appreciate your opinions regarding the answers as well as any other interesting fact you would like to share about this family of Olivetti machines .

11-3-2018 14:13:10  #2

Re: How does an Olivetti Lexikon 80 differs from their smaller sisters

For what it's worth, I'll chime in here with a +1, as I sold all the 44s I had out of frustration with how sluggish they felt and have yet to actually try a Lexikon 80.

I would be very curious to know how they compare to the wonderful L22, a machine which I really enjoy using.

For reference, the main artillery piece in use around these parts is a Triumph Standard 14, which must surely be one of the fastest machines ever built. Just, perhaps, not really quite so delicate and subtle like the Olivettis. More of an ironclad battleship.

As an aside, typically the big advantage of a larger desktop is that it is heavy enough to stay put, it is large enough to keep the paper up where one isn't hunched over all the time, and yes, it really should be faster and lighter to the touch in general.

Thunder-clacker.

Board footera