You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-3-2018 14:42:14  #1

Smith-Corona/Corona print quality

This is not a topic on getting the print better, but why do most of the Smith machines print so poorly (blotchy, smudged, fuzzy)?
The oldest Smith I have had is over 100-years-old and has a new platen, and the newest is from the early 70s... and all are nice to use, with a few exceptions... but the print is/has never been the best.
Is it just that these machines are 'pounded out' or is it something else?

Would love to hear others opinions on this subject.
Thanks in advance.
OliverNo.9.

11-3-2018 18:57:03  #2

Re: Smith-Corona/Corona print quality

I haven’t really had any issues with the two I’ve worked on so far, or with any I’ve seen and used belonging to other people.  At the bottom of these two articles are my type samples.

http://themechanicaltype.blogspot.com/2018/02/1951-smith-corona-silent-5.html?m=1

http://themechanicaltype.blogspot.com/2017/12/1950-smith-corona-silent-5.html?m=1

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

11-3-2018 18:58:44  #3

Edit, I have since cleaned the slugs on the ‘51 Model, and all the letters look like the numbers row

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

12-3-2018 14:11:17  #4

OliverNo.9 wrote:

... why do most of the Smith machines print so poorly (blotchy, smudged, fuzzy)?

​I have over two dozen Smith-Corona (>1946) machines and a number of L.C. Smith and Corona models (<1945) and have not noted any difference between their print quality and those of any other manufacturer. How many typewriters did you use to base your claim on? Do they all use the same ribbon (from the same supplier)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-3-2018 14:26:40  #5

Ive only really had a few good Smiths and thought they were fine...? Even the Smith Premiers ive had were just as nice as late royals and underwoods. Could it be your typing style? 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-3-2018 15:15:59  #6

Several of mine (portables mostly, but also standards) type with the lower part of the characters lighter than the top. I suspect that they need on-feet adjustments to make sure the typeslugs are hitting squarely, and maybe that's a function of a slightly shrunk platen (?). I plan to work on this a bit -- the on-feet adjustment with these machines is dead simple, fortunately -- a screw and locknut easily accessible on the bottom of the machine.

I also have found that one or two of the machines, 4-series both, do give a smudged result, like a double strike, with certain characters. Maybe the slugs in question strike the platen/ribbon slightly too hard? I'm not sure how to go about correcting that.

Board footera