You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2018 15:18:04  #1

Other ideas for sticky keys?

Hi,
I've tried all the solutions that I've found online for fixing a sticky key but I still have a problematic one. It's a 'Y' key on a Brother Charger 11 and if I had to guess, it's sticking at its swivel or hinge point but no amount of mineral spirits and scrubbing have unstuck it. Any other ideas for how I can get in there and try to free it? It's improved from where I started but still getting stuck. Both the arm and the channel appear clean so I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Best, Michael

Typewriter NOOB
Brother Charger 11 Correction

02-4-2018 18:09:17  #2

Re: Other ideas for sticky keys?

Does it feel as if there's a physical blocking of the motion of the typebar? Or it's just sluggish? There's more than one pivot point; check underneath the machine for the pivot that's directly below the keys. Sometimes that gets gunked up too.

03-4-2018 04:42:27  #3

Check the type bar linkage as it moves in the slot of the segment. The sides of the type bar that touch the slot as it rotates could be hanging up with gunk. I use mascara brushes in the slot.

How is the alignment of the typed letter? Perhaps the type bar is slightly bent at the pivot point in the segment. Careful “reforming” to one side or the other might help.

Try moving the type bar by hand for its full stroke, very slowly, you should be able to feel it hanging up.

03-4-2018 04:45:37  #4

I’ve also seen a misalignment where the type slug is rubbing against the type guide as it imprints the letter. You should see this by slowly moving the type bar up to the print position, the slug should be centered in the type guide, not rubbing on either side.

03-4-2018 08:18:22  #5

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses, gotta figure out how to turn on notifications for this thread.

It's sluggish, and def not hitting the type guide. And it definitely seems to be the type arm cause the key moves freely and the type arm is sluggish when I move it by hand. The arm and the segment seem clean but at the same time, the pivot point of the arm seems to be the issue. I'll try to find a smaller brush to get in there. I also have some dental tools I can try to see if something is lodged in there.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and help.

Best, Michael

Typewriter NOOB
Brother Charger 11 Correction

09-4-2018 12:46:46  #6

Try using those floss picks.  They make new ones now that resemble drain un-cloggers, but for your gums.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera