You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-3-2018 18:30:19  #1

Olympia SM3 ribbon cover doesn't latch well

This Olympia runs perfectly, but the ribbon cover will not stay latched firmly closed. With a little jiggling I can get it shut, and it doesn't open on its own, but it doesn't sit perfectly flush with the body of the typewriter. This sometimes means that there is almost no clearance between the cover and the carriage return lever. I assume that the issue is with the springs that catch the tabs on the inside of the ribbon cover (third image), but I'm not quite sure what to do to fix it.

Also, is this an SM3 or an SM4? From what I have read it looks like it has the mechanics of an SM4, but the tab sets of an SM3.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

01-4-2018 01:24:19  #2

Re: Olympia SM3 ribbon cover doesn't latch well

the spring is stretched and damaged so needs to be replaced in the first instance, but how did it get like that has it been removed and refitted badly? is the one on the right ok?if so you should be able to match it up quite easily or if you are not mechanically minded contact a repair shop and they may be able to post one out to you off an harvested machine, when the spring is replaced close the lid slowly and check the alignment of the locking tab, just in case this is bent and causing damage to the spring.

01-4-2018 01:35:12  #3

sorry I forgot to add that the machine has manual tab stops making it an Olympia SM3 

01-4-2018 07:34:56  #4

Bubis wrote:

.... snip ....
Also, is this an SM3 or an SM4? From what I have read it looks like it has the mechanics of an SM4, but the tab sets of an SM3.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.

What is the difference in the mechanics of an SM3 and an SM4 except the tab setting and clearing mechanism? (Granted, there may be minor differences made during the model production runs and cosmetic changes, but those don't change the model designation. So, apart from the tabs?)

01-4-2018 08:47:10  #5

Thanks for your responses. I managed to adjust the left hand spring and get the ribbon cover to latch flush, so it's certainly fine for now. The right spring is in even worse shape, so I will certainly try to replace them.

As for the SM3/SM4 question I was going by the information here:
https://strokeandbore.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/the-sm3-and-sm4/

My Olympia has the ruled paper rest, crackle finish paper table, and carriage return pin that the blogger says are characteristic of the SM4, but it has the SM3 tab stops. Maybe an intermediate model, or repairs?

06-4-2018 04:50:54  #6

I think bubis is spot on with the idea of an intermediate model or repairs, when these machines were manufactured we were not in a throw away society, so manufacturers would use what what was available to them and if that meant putting a later paper table etc on the machine they would do that, also there is the possibility of repairs, and Olympia etc would update the part numbers to the newer modified versions where they could to save on cost, makes perfect sense to me. 

06-4-2018 05:59:39  #7

There may have been some intermediate smaller modifications during production (the smooth paper table for instance), but I think the keyset tabulator is the clear designator of an SM4. 

Board footera