You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2018 01:28:23  #1

Paint to repair decals?

If you needed to repair the decals on an antique typewriter.. Say, a very old, very detailed decal needing multiple colors and shades, and of which no replacement decals were commercially available, what might be an appropriate paint to use? 

12-4-2018 12:16:49  #2

Re: Paint to repair decals?

Hi Seijun

​If you are used to model kit building and accustomed to painting the extra fine details like the instrument panels on 1/32 scale cars, I would be inclined to use model paints like Humbrol, Testors or Airfix enamel paints (not the new acrylic model paints) and some really fine 0, 00, and 000 brushes.

There is also a fellow (I assume) in the Peru of all places who reproduces antique waterslide decals (transfers) for gramophones and typewriters. Take a look at eBay item # 271041916849 and see if he has anything close to what you're looking for. If he doesn't, I'd suggest contacting him and sending a picture of your decal to see if he has any suggestions. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-4-2018 08:52:32  #3

Re: Paint to repair decals?

There is this guy.  His decals are amazing.  Sometimes he has decals that are not listed on his site. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TypewriterDecalShop

Board footera