You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-3-2018 18:26:07  #1

Royal FP carriage problem

So I picked up this Royal FP from Ebay. Seller said it only had a few sticky keys. It was well packed with plenty of paper keeping it in place. I tried to type on it, after a few keystrokes the carriage advanced all the way. Each time I moved the carriage back, I got a few keystrokes in and the carriage went sailing again! Any ideas? I'm hoping it's nothing major! Thanks as always! Jeff
[img][/img]

29-3-2018 19:47:58  #2

Re: Royal FP carriage problem

The tabulator mechanism may be stuck open; in the picture it looks like the tab key is sitting partially depressed, and the behavior you describe sounds like it is a possibility. I would set some tab stops and see when the carriage "sails away" if it stops at the set tab stops. If it does, I would follow the tabulator mechanism to find the issue. It could be something else, but you may want to rule out the tabulator first.

30-3-2018 07:56:32  #3

Thank you! The tab key is loose and if I hold it up and type, the carriage doesn't "sail away". So it's definitely something to do with the tab. The question is how do I tighten this mechanism up? As soon as I stop holding the key up, it drops back to the position in the picture. I do see a screw on the tab mechanism that looks like some sort of adjustment screw. Not sure if it is related or if I can get at it to tighten it. Any suggestions?

30-3-2018 09:15:53  #4

I don't have an FP so I can't look, but is it missing a spring?

30-3-2018 11:56:53  #5

Hi Jeff

​Let's start with the easiest first using my Royal FPE16-6871893 for reference. Move the ribbon color selector to red.  Pop the top cover by pressing the red Royal emblem in, cover should spring open (may need a little help if stuck). Now, look closely at the Tab-Set button slider just inside the front panel. Right beside the slider, you'll see a small black metal plate shaped a bit like the profile of a milk bottle laying on its side. At the narrow end of this plate there is a small hole. There should be a long spring hooked between this plate and the Tab key arm. Let us know what you find,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-4-2018 19:24:45  #6

Unless I had a strong need for tab stops I'd find a way of holding up the key and leave it at that. I would pull off the H key and turn it upright though. 

How do you like it as a typer?

27-4-2018 10:39:43  #7

Any spring should do to hold it up.  If you have a bucket of spares sitting around, try one of them.  If not, you can go to your local hardware store.
A side option, if you’re incredibly lazy, you can use a pen spring.  Slightly pull it apart and make loops on the ends.  It should have enough pull (even though it’s not meant for that) to accomplish the same task.
If that doesn’t work, use a rubber band.  This is a VERY easy fix.  Best of luck

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

28-4-2018 15:47:15  #8

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Jeff

​Let's start with the easiest first using my Royal FPE16-6871893 for reference. Move the ribbon color selector to red.  Pop the top cover by pressing the red Royal emblem in, cover should spring open (may need a little help if stuck). Now, look closely at the Tab-Set button slider just inside the front panel. Right beside the slider, you'll see a small black metal plate shaped a bit like the profile of a milk bottle laying on its side. At the narrow end of this plate there is a small hole. There should be a long spring hooked between this plate and the Tab key arm. Let us know what you find,

Sky

I just saw this reply, I actually shelved it because I was annoyed with it and went on to other projects. I just took it down after seeing this and I can't find the metal plate you were talking about. Not sure if I'm in the correct area. Maybe the "milk bottle" plate is missing? 
[img][/img]

28-4-2018 20:10:24  #9

Lucas Dul wrote:

...If that doesn’t work, use a rubber band. This is a VERY easy fix. Best of luck

I've made a number of surprisingly durable repairs with rubber bands if the replacement part fails in service, another replacement is VERY cheap. A 1912 Underwood upright with a carriage that falls backward and jams on shift is held together with a pair of rubber bands tied around the side of the carriage and is still clocking away  As the machine looks like it has been involved in several of the wars it was contemporary with the repair seems appropriate.

06-5-2018 10:19:30  #10

Can’t quite identify where the spring should loop.  I’d recommend removing the front plate.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera