You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-5-2018 05:51:58  #11

Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

Thanks, Sky. So the series 3 spools can take 10 yards, which is good to know. I was thinking of getting the Michaels spools, preferably the blue, which would look nice I think. I might also check Staples to see whether calculator ribbon might work (probably would need to respool onto the Skyriter spools, though).

22-5-2018 16:14:29  #12

Found a spool of Porelon 11311 cash register ribbon (purple color -- normal cash register ink color) at Staples. Looks like it might be less than 6 yards, but that should be fine. The spools won't fit the Skyriter -- hole is too small -- so I'll need to respool, and put knots in each end since there are no grommets. Minor inconvenience. Should look nice on the page.

19-2-2024 14:53:54  #13

Any tips on attaching the ribbon to Skyriter spools without the C clip? The ribbon was attached to this particular pair of spools with a square knot, which is one way to do it...

Or: is there a modern-day clip I could find from McMaster-Carr that would do for a replacement? If so, anyone have leads on the size?

Thanks!

26-2-2024 11:16:07  #14

Hi Again

For attaching ribbon to a Skyriter or S-C series 3 spool without the clip, here's what came to mind. One method would be to wash the ink out of the end few inches of ribbon and stick the ribbon to the core of the spool with Scotch Tape or something similar. Here are a couple of pictures of spool and C-clip.

Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

26-2-2024 15:54:33  #15

Thanks Sky.

My calipers tell me that the outer diameter of the axel is 0.5" and of course it's 0.5" wide. So, another option is to get a spring hose clamp (like this: McMaster-Carr) and cut it down so that it doesn't surround the axel entirely).

26-2-2024 21:53:57  #16

Hi Rob

Now that's what I call thinking outside the box. I use the Stens P/N 120-114 fuel line clamps in my small engine shop and had never put the two together. I think the clamp metal may be a little thicker than the original C-clip, but with a little experimenting, I'm sure it could be made to work. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera