You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2016 17:39:42  #21

Re: Which typewriters have larger/smaller typefaces?

Nicole, most people selling typewriters know nothing about them. It's buyer beware out there! Once you get to know certain machines you can look at the paper bail in the pictures and see how high the numbers go on it; some models I can glance and see by the size of the marks whether it's elite or pica.

The type sample thing is a total bugbear, because of course you do want to see that when they say 'keys work' they mean the keys actually work and so does the carriage, etc. And equally of course, without a ribbon, you can still make a type sample if you have a piece of carbon paper, but no one under the age of 60 would probably a) think of that or b) have a piece of carbon paper. I think you get to be practiced at spotting who is trying to get away with something and which machines are likely to be good - it's like a sixth sense. But you don't need to buy any typewriters now for at least a week! 

Funny that you prefer such small type - I've been on a drive for more pica machines, and now I've got a nice selection I'm feeling drawn to use the elite ones. You can't win.

02-4-2016 23:30:34  #22

Even if a seller provides a type sample it doesn't guarantee that the machine is fully operational. The owner of a portable that I recently bought showed me a type sample as proof that the machine was in perfect condition, but I took it with a grain of salt. Of course when I inspected the machine I found it had all kinds of problems, and I'm not even sure how she managed to get a type sample from it given the carriage wasn't moving and there was a big hole blown through the ribbon at the vibrator, which told me that the ribbon advance mechanism wasn't working either. I always buy machines under the assumption that some repair work will be required, which is one reason why my average purchase price has always been around $30. If it turns out that the machine doesn't need anything except a little cleaning, then I consider it to be a nice surprise.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2016 16:44:16  #23

You have to look at buying a typewriter much like you'd look at buying a used car.  For one thing, an old typewriter 99.995% of the time has been used.  For another, you have to look at the kind of wear and tear that's visible, and how well it was taken care of (was it oiled often--too much or too little; was it abused, etc.).  Ask if you can try it out, and see what problems the machine has.  See what it does, or doesn't do.  Does the carriage move smoothly?  Does the carriage move at all?  Do the type bars (or element) stick?  Does the bell ring?  I remember buying what was essentially a stripped down Royal QDL that had manual margin settings, plus I had to steal the bell mechanism out of another typewriter I was using for parts.  And speaking of tires, how do the rubber feet look?  If you have parts machines (always a plus), and you think you can whip that baby into shape, and if you don't need a bank loan to buy it, then take it up front and make out adoption papers!!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

05-4-2016 20:19:39  #24

The voices of wisdom and reason! Thanks guys, lots of great advice for a newbie like me. 

KatLondon, you'd think that I don't need to buy any more typewriters for at least a week, wouldn't you!? I'm trying to resist I'm only allowing myself another machine if it's an elite, which I shall detect on eBay using my new paper bail sleuthing skills!

14-5-2018 08:18:08  #25

I am looking for a typewriter with a large typeface  to buy or to hire for a week-Can anyone help me with this?
I have just joined the forum and am hoping to be able to locate somewhere near London a Smith Corona Classic 12 6L for a week for a project i am working on that requires a large typeface. it doesn't need to be that machine, but a machine with the largest and clearest typeface anyone can suggest.
All suggestions are welcome -
Thank you
Mary

22-5-2018 21:33:39  #26

This is slightly different from what the main topic appears to be, but I have noticed that the Remington Standard (aka Super-Riter) I got recently has a pica-size typeface that seems marginally larger than what I'd call the "normal" pica size. I compared typing samples from it and my pica font size Royal FP as a typical pica typeface and the characters are ever so slightly larger with the Remington, enough so that with single line spacing, the lines seem actually a little close together. A comma and a capital letter right below it are practically touching. The difference in character size is minimal, like maybe .3mm, but that's enough to be noticeable. It's not all characters, but many of them. Interesting.

23-5-2018 14:12:51  #27

I believe that Remington had at least four standard pica variants (they might have just differed by the weight of the character), and that each manufacturer's pica (and elite) typeface was proprietary (which is why typeface forensics made it possible to identify manufacturers). Royal, for example, had its own type designers who were not only responsible for the standard typefaces used in the company's machines, but for custom orders as well. Some large corporations actually had their own typefaces, which were designed by Royal to be included in the machines those corporations ordered.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2018 14:39:40  #28

I have an Underwood SX with a special Æ character, no doubt a special order for Aetna Life and Casualty, based in Hartford also. Having worked there, I know "Mother Aetna" was always very persnickety about correct use of the "ligature," as the intellectual property folks referred to it.

Sadly, the Underwood is in need of the ribbon reversing crank assembly, and I despair of finding those parts.

Board footera