You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-5-2018 15:42:36  #1

Royal QDL cover isn't flush...carriage return lever hitting cover

Hi,
  Just picked up a Royal QDL in great condition. The carriage return lever is hitting the cover only when the lever is fully extended to the left. If it is pushed to the right, it clears it. Trying to solve this problem, I didn't notice any play in the mechanism and the lever doesn't seem bent. I noticed the left back of the cover isn't flush when closed but the right side is. Should it be flush? What is the best method to make it flush if it is supposed to be. I'm guessing if it becomes flush it should solve the lever clearance problem. Thanks as always, Jeff[img][/img]

27-5-2018 16:26:17  #2

Re: Royal QDL cover isn't flush...carriage return lever hitting cover

Yes the cover should certainly be flush.  Try this first before trying to bend the linespace lever.

27-5-2018 16:32:23  #3

What is the best method for making it flush?

28-5-2018 13:27:43  #4

Hi Jeff

​Start with the simple things like is something obstructing the cover? Next, inspect the hinges, are they properly secured in the right position and are they straight (not bent). Is the back of the cover straight where the hinges attach or does the paint look stressed in that area? Check these things out and get back to us with your findings,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-5-2018 15:21:28  #5

No obstructions or paint damage that I noticed. There is a gap between the lid and the hinge that isn’t present on the other side. Looks like it is screwed in the correct location. I’ll post a picture of the hinge in a bit. Thanks as always! Jeff

28-5-2018 18:35:04  #6

Gap on the left side hinge...[img][/img]

28-5-2018 18:35:46  #7

Right hinge for comparison... [img][/img]

03-6-2018 11:22:02  #8

So I think I have isolated the problem with the return lever, one of the links is loose. The problem is that I can't get access to the screw to tighten it. I want to say the part is the pawl arm. If I follow the lever to the link, the next piece it is attached to is what is loose. I took out the platen, disconnected the link and I can swing around the pawl arm, I can't figure out how to take that part off so I can tighten the screw! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Board footera