You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-6-2014 15:55:35  #1

Remington Portable #2 basket case

First post, so I can't post pictures yet. I recently picked up a filthy Remington Portable #2 at a junk shop for really cheap. I've wanted an antique typewriter forever, but couldn't justify the expense of one in good condition, so I thought I'd give this one a try since it was cheap enough to make a good learning experience even if I can't fix it.

When I found it the spacebar would activate the carriage, and all the keys seemed to move their respective hammer. By the time I had paid for it and carried it out to the car the drawband had snapped. I think I've got a handle on fixing that thanks to you folks.

The problem I'm trying to figure out now, aside from the obvious major hygene problems (the machine apparently spent some part of it's life outdoors or in a barn), is how to get the basket to come up to typing position. Using the lever on the side, I can only get it to come about half way open.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've taken the covers off and looked for bent parts or a source of binding. Other than the guide bars at each end next to the spools that appear to be a bit out of place, everything looks to be straight as far as I can see under it.

I was hoping maybe someone had had a similar problem in the past and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Total Beginnner

06-6-2014 09:49:54  #2

Re: Remington Portable #2 basket case

I figured out how to get the type bars into position. Turns out I had a bent lever inside that pushes up the right side of the type bars. I had to pull the plate the type bars sit on up to finally get it to work, and after the first time it gets easier to work the knob on the side of the machine.

Now I'm trying to get the platen out. Anyone know any tricks for that? The screw that I believe is holding the handle on has a very shallow groove and is stuck. I'm guessing the trick is going to be to find a screwdriver that fits perfectly to get enough leverage, but thought maybe someone else with some experience can chime in. Any help?

Last edited by shouston (06-6-2014 10:05:12)

Total Beginnner

06-6-2014 09:51:43  #3

Here's a picture of the machine in question. It's VERY dirty.

Total Beginnner

06-6-2014 10:03:29  #4

And here's a shot of the part that was bent. The vertical bar right in the center of the picture was folded right in the middle. You can see that it's still not quite straight. Also, you can see how dirty this thing is. Now that I think it's going to work afterwards, it's time to start trying to clean it. Once I can get the platen loose, at least.

Total Beginnner

06-6-2014 10:09:05  #5

The screw I can't get good leverage on that I believe is step one in removing the platen. Behind the knob you can see one of the three screws on the core of the platen that will release the bar so I can pull it out, right? All the instructions I've found say the bar should come out from the left side, but that doesn't seem possible on this machine, so I'm assuming it will pull out to the right.

Total Beginnner

06-6-2014 14:19:55  #6

Hi there! You have the same machine as me, and mine was almost as filthy. I managed to clean mine up without taking the platen out. I used a can of compressed air, and took it outside. To clean the platen, I first used a damp rag, then some Cif cleaning cream - I think your equivalent would be something called Soft scrub? I did the platen in small sections, wiping dry before moving on to the next part. I used a thin piece of plastic packaging from a cake box around the platen while using the cream cleaner to stop drips going through to the underneath. I also fed a lot of pieces of A4 paper through to work out the filth. I didn't immerse the machine in anything at all to clean the rust off. I did it all by hand with a rag and small amounts of metal polish and some very used-up kitchen scrubbers, the kind with a sort of green plastic scrubber on the top of a sponge. This gave just the right degree of scrub without being nastily abrasive on the chrome. I tried very fine wire wool, but this just shed bits of wires everywhere, and I stopped, not wanting to clog the machine up with extra stuff. It took me a whole weekend of polishing to get the thing looking decent, but it can be done. For the keytops chrome, I made some tiny scrubbing tools using a barbecue bamboo stick and a bit of old scrubber held on with a rubber band.
The mechinsm for lifting the typebars was really stiff to begin with, and I found that I had to pull out the little knob on the side a bit to lift it up and over the curve.
The drawband was not too difficult to replace with 50lb fishing line. There's a really good description of how to go about that here on this site. But I followed these instructions http://typewriterheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/rr1-carriage-strapped.html
On the remington portable you don't need to double back up over the small line guide.
I'll be posting some pictures of before and after of my clean-up on my Remington Portable 2 soon. And I'l put in a photo of the drawband/mainspring.
Keep us updated on your progress and good luck. Once you've got it working you won't be disappointed. A very rewarding typewriter

09-6-2014 10:27:23  #7

Thanks for the cleaning suggestions, especially the tiny scrubbers for the keytops. I'll definitely be using that one.

I was hoping to get the platen out to be able to do something about the feed rollers that failed to make the journey from sometime around 1925 to 2014, but I may just clean it up and see how it all works without worrying about them. I want the typewriter to work well, but it's not like it's going to be a "daily driver".

Total Beginnner

17-6-2014 17:22:44  #8

Hi, i also have a remington portable #2 that i am trying to restore in time to use it at our 1920s themed wedding. One trick i have found elsewhere is to use a metal ruler to undo some of the stuck screws, you can use it end on or if there is room use it lengthways to get more leverage.

I also need to refurb the feed rollers as they have gone soft and flat on one side, i have got the platten out but i cant figure how to get at the feed rolers. The curved sheet metal piece that the platten sits in  seems to be the next thing to remove but it doesnt seem to have any obvious way to remove it.

18-6-2014 12:44:27  #9

Hey, sypher1987, can you tell me how you got the platten out? I never have been able to figure it out. I used the metal ruler trick to get the knob off, and removed the screws in the end of the platen, but then couldn't pull the rod out or otherwise get anything to move that would allow me to remove it. I tried putting the knob back on and pulling from that side, but nothing would budge.

Total Beginnner

19-6-2014 11:34:13  #10

Yeah sure, Once the screw is off you can push the rod through the platten so it comes out the opposite side to the knob, once the rod is out you can carefully remove the platten but there is a small roller at the right hand side that you can either slacken off or remove by undoing the two screws just below.

Let me know how you get on, im not at home at the moment but i can take some pictures later if you get stuck.

Board footera