You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-5-2018 11:34:00  #1

Rookie help request: Wich are the most collectable typewriters

I am new at this obsession and require some help as to making informed decisions with regard to expanding my collection. Which machines are the most desirable to collect?  Any information will be greatly appreciated!  Regards Trevor

25-5-2018 14:10:58  #2

Re: Rookie help request: Wich are the most collectable typewriters

Hey, there. That depends on an important factor: do you want to collect typewriters to use them, or just to have a display piece? If the latter, then you're looking for the varied early machines. Before the early 1900's they came in all sorts of styles, some of which are extremely collectible. The Sholes and Glidden comes to mind. If you mean the former, that answer is a bit more nuanced...

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

25-5-2018 15:24:22  #3

Following up on tricnomistal's advice, there aren't a lot of "collectible" typewriters from the 20th century other than rare special editions like the gold-plated Royal portables (e.g. Ian Fleming's) or machines owned by famous writers. But one machine that seems to have captured the fancy of collectors is the Olivetti Valentine. Have never seen one myself, and I understand there are many better typewriters for actual typing, but it's an Ettore Sotsass design and thus very in vogue (and pricey). I am sure others have some ideas too. (I should mention as an aside that machines made with Nazi characters, mainly the SS symbol, are sought out, though not by typewriter collectors so much....)

17-6-2018 18:36:45  #4

Not meaning to be, something, but not sure what collectible means. There is much to learn and many different motivations for buying a typewriter.  As prices are going up the shotgun approach is less practical but if you can look locally still possible.  Unless you are speculating in typewriters what others find desirable is only a rough guide to what you may find desirable.

Board footera